Brew Bucket by SS Brewing Technologies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that port welded on or soldered? And did you do it yourself? Could you show a picture of the inside. I really want to do this, but I can't weld, and I haven't had much success soldering stainless steel.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say neither... it looks to be a weldless thermowell.

Anyone that pre-ordered via Keg Outlet received updates or has experience from the last "batch" that was sent out? I'd like to order through them, but would like to know more of what I'm getting myself into first.

I ordered my second one from them and it went like clockwork. They shipped when they said they would (earlier actually) and communicated well.

I'd definitely do business with them again.

Just put the first batch (a Dubble) in mine on Saturday.

The new lid gasket design is easy to assemble wet and also seems to seal better (it makes the clamps work harder anyway). I like the two handles on the sides also; It's much easier to handle than the better bottles I've been using. It also works great with my existing processes which are to tape an insulated temp probe to the outside (seems to conduct temp better than plastic actually) and my brew belt heater works great on it as well (I was worried the decreasing circumference would be an issue, but it wasn't a problem).

So far I really like it. I'll let everyone know if I have any trouble cold crashing (worried about vacuum) or pressure transferring in a few weeks.

Anyone have an issue with the lid hole cutting into the stopper? I sent them a message about it but have yet to hear back. My stopper is almost cut all the way through and I'm a little worried about it sealing correctly.

Anyone have an issue with the lid hole cutting into the stopper? I sent them a message about it but have yet to hear back. My stopper is almost cut all the way through and I'm a little worried about it sealing correctly.

Mine is fine

I also went for it and two should be here Friday as well. Can't believe it as these things seem so hard to get. Thanks to disney7 and pennengr for the boost of confidence.

Disney7 I'd be very interested as to how cold crashing goes.

Got a wheat and a scottish 70 fermenting in the two I received last week. I thought everything looked great about them. Very good seal. No problem with airlock stopper - I don't think "cutting" will be a problem unless pushing the stopper in too far and twisting it back and forth.

I am still a little leery about the spigot - gonna need to be vigilent about cleaning it, PBW soaks, etc. If anyone finds a spigot that fits, and comes apart better for cleaning, I would be interested in hearing about it - I would probably swap mine out for something with a bit more access.

I just got an email back from SS Brewtech that addressed the "cutting" issue. They have a different stopper they will be using in the very near future.

I am still a little leery about the spigot - gonna need to be vigilent about cleaning it, PBW soaks, etc. If anyone finds a spigot that fits, and comes apart better for cleaning, I would be interested in hearing about it - I would probably swap mine out for something with a bit more access.

it's stainless...put a gallon of boiling water in the bucket and run it through the spigot after 15 minutes.

I have some little vinyl caps that will fit tightly over the valve's hose barb. I plan to fill the fermenter with PWB, open the valve and let some run through it, then pop the cap on so the whole valve body can soak. I'll operate the valve a few times during the soak and then drain the whole PWB mixture out of the valve.

We'll see how that works. If anyone finds a valve that will come apart or is bigger, let us know! I asked SSBrewTech about the valve size and they said that something bigger wasn't really an option due to the curvature of the bucket, but I'll bet there is something out there that will work.

Not to hijack the thread, but any opinions or thoughts on the Deep Woods Brewing stainless steel Carboy? Here is a link

http://deepwoodbrew.com/home/16-6-gal-stainless-steel-carboy.html

I think I'm going to ask for this for my birthday. While I want the brew bucket it won't fit in my mini fridge. The deep woods products diameter is an inch smaller allowing for it to fit inside my mini fridge for fermentation. I also like how it's pre configured for a thermowell.

In doesn't have a conical bottom which sucks but I like this as an alternative over using glass.

Not to hijack the thread, but any opinions or thoughts on the Deep Woods Brewing stainless steel Carboy? Here is a link

http://deepwoodbrew.com/home/16-6-gal-stainless-steel-carboy.html

I think I'm going to ask for this for my birthday. While I want the brew bucket it won't fit in my mini fridge. The deep woods products diameter is an inch smaller allowing for it to fit inside my mini fridge for fermentation. I also like how it's pre configured for a thermowell.

In doesn't have a conical bottom which sucks but I like this as an alternative over using glass.

I don't have any opinion on the quality, but I would say that the capacity could be an issue. Six gallons is too small for a 5-5.5 gallon batch. Every batch would require a blow off tube because of the small amount of head space, and that may cause some loss of beer.

I don't have any opinion on the quality, but I would say that the capacity could be an issue. Six gallons is too small for a 5-5.5 gallon batch. Every batch would require a blow off tube because of the small amount of head space, and that may cause some loss of beer.

Not going to search for it at the moment but iirc people have tested the capacity and its over 6 gallons. That being said I can understand the advantage of long-term use from stainless vs plastic buckets and the bling factor but 135 for the cavern or 185 for the ssbrewbucket gets you a lot of ale pails.

The ss brewbucket appeals to me because it has a coned bottom which I think helps its functionality. The deepwood caverns have a flat bottom which puts them back competing with the ale pails. If you have money to blow I guess there's worse things you could buy.

Just got a shipping notice for my brew bucket. I'm thinking of adding a 12" thermowell to the lid because I don't want to put another hole in the fermenter itself. For those who have a bucket already, can you tell me if you think 12" would be long enough coming through the lid into the fermenting wort/beer? Based on the measurements of the bucket, it seems like that should work. Planning to go with this one, http://www.brewershardware.com/12-Weldless-Thermowell-WLFM14TW12.html, unless anyone has any other recommendations.

Just got a shipping notice for my brew bucket. I'm thinking of adding a 12" thermowell to the lid because I don't want to put another hole in the fermenter itself. For those who have a bucket already, can you tell me if you think 12" would be long enough coming through the lid into the fermenting wort/beer? Based on the measurements of the bucket, it seems like that should work. Planning to go with this one, http://www.brewershardware.com/12-Weldless-Thermowell-WLFM14TW12.html, unless anyone has any other recommendations.

This should put you a few inches below the 4 gallon mark (just eyeballing it).

thanks for the link! I think I just found the solution to this thing not having a thermowell! I have one of those cheapo stainless thermowell tubes, but it's a piece of crap because the tip is flattened and wider than the tube...makes it difficult to drill a perfectly sized hole.

I just put a weldless 6" thermowell into my brew bucket. Super easy with a 1/8" bit for pilot hole and a step bit to finish it. Got the thermowell from brewershardware.com. Here's a few pics.

Photo on 2014-01-15 at 21.34.jpg

Photo on 2014-01-15 at 21.33 #2.jpg

Did anyone passivate the bucket before using for the first time? I didn't, but just got an email from ssbrewtech saying that they recommend it. Hopefully, it's not a big deal if you don't.

I got mine the day after Christmas. I'll be the first one to admit it is more pretty than practical compared to a plastic bucket or carboy. If you could get the plastic inductor conical tanks in smaller sizes than the 15 gallon, I probably would have gone that route. I know they have the square ones, but you really can't put a proper dump valve on those. But then again, I like my shiny stainless, and I deserve a bit of splurging every once in awhile seeing how it's my only serious hobby. I'd love to make my own stainless conical, but I have yet to find a place that I can get reasonable stock parts to weld together. Doing the math, for a few bucks more you could just buy one already built. The only possible option I've seen is metal spinning. But based on the math I did, you'd need a 30" diameter blank and I haven't seen any home-scale lathes that could handle that.

Just received mine in the mail today. Here are some unboxing pics even though there are plenty in this thread:

I am really happy with the quality of the bucket. It is not heavy and appears to be designed well. SS Brewing Technologies has also been a great pleasure to work with and their customer service is top notch. I look forward to many brews using the bucket. My poster in the background just matches the bucket perfectly :mug:

I just put a weldless 6" thermowell into my brew bucket. Super easy with a 1/8" bit for pilot hole and a step bit to finish it. Got the thermowell from brewershardware.com. Here's a few pics.

Very nice. I may do the same. Right now, I just tape a probe to the outside using foil tape.

Did anyone passivate the bucket before using for the first time? I didn't, but just got an email from ssbrewtech saying that they recommend it. Hopefully, it's not a big deal if you don't.

I did using Bar Keeper's Friend. I buy it at Home Depot and use it on my stainless brew stuff and in our stainless sink. It definitely works. When I drilled one of my kettles, I think it got too hot and I noticed some rust after using it the first time. After cleaning with some Bar Keeper's Friend, I don't have any problems.

Got two today and all looks good; however, see the pic. The gaskets felt a bit too snug on the racking arm and sure enough one ripped. Annoyed. Anyone experienced this? I'm sure it is an easy resolution for the product going forward but I don't want to keep dealing with it...ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390009828.895174.jpg

Got two today and all looks good; however, see the pic. The gaskets felt a bit too snug on the racking arm and sure enough one ripped. Annoyed. Anyone experienced this? I'm sure it is an easy resolution for the product going forward but I don't want to keep dealing with it...View attachment 172901

The exact thing happened to me the first time using it. I ordered some new ones from an o-ring website. The silicone orings that are on the racking arm seem to be a little soft. I know that's how silicone is, but maybe a different material should be used. The ones I ordered are made of that black nitrile rubber so hopefully they will be harder and resist breaking.

Got two today and all looks good; however, see the pic. The gaskets felt a bit too snug on the racking arm and sure enough one ripped. Annoyed. Anyone experienced this? I'm sure it is an easy resolution for the product going forward but I don't want to keep dealing with it...View attachment 172901

Well they emailed me back within a couple hours. Not bad for a Friday night. Apparently this can happen if the gaskets are dry. Mine were. Others may have known this detail but I did not. For shame.

Let's just say that SS Brew Tech is making it all right with the world. That is exceptional service by my standards and I would recommend them to anyone.

The exact thing happened to me the first time using it. I ordered some new ones from an o-ring website. The silicone orings that are on the racking arm seem to be a little soft. I know that's how silicone is, but maybe a different material should be used. The ones I ordered are made of that black nitrile rubber so hopefully they will be harder and resist breaking.

Are these the same size as what is advertised on their site as replacements for the chronical racking arm.? Do the bucket and chronical use the same racking arm?

Racking Arm: 11mm x 1.5mm Buna N 90
Valve body external: 16mm x 1.5mm Buna N 90
Valve body internal: 8.5mm x 1mm Buna N 70

Anyone confirm? I think it would be good for me to have a handful of spares around.

As awesome as these are, how the heck are you guys washing these afterwards? Possibly some of you have commercial wash racks, but for most home brewers are you not just using your kitchen sink? I don't think this would be very kind to our large, porcelain kitchen sink. :(

Are these the same size as what is advertised on their site as replacements for the chronical racking arm.? Do the bucket and chronical use the same racking arm?

Racking Arm: 11mm x 1.5mm Buna N 90

Valve body external: 16mm x 1.5mm Buna N 90

Valve body internal: 8.5mm x 1mm Buna N 70

Anyone confirm? I think it would be good for me to have a handful of spares around.

I used the dimensions from ss brew tech website for the brew bucket oring replacement pack. I ordered some new ones from theoringstore.com. I got the nitrile rubber ones. If I don't like these I might just order directly from ssbrewtech.

Back