Brew Brothers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DromJohn

5 Gallon Partial-Something Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, AHS I love you. I have schilled for you. You are almost everything I want to commit to in a long-term relationship. But...

I put together my second recipe and AHS didn't have one ingredient (+ two more that were out of stock) that I wanted. Ignoring the out of stock items, I found the missing ingredient at Bell's, but they didn't have other ingredients. So I planned to buy most of the recipe from AHS, and the one ingredient from Bell's. But to save Bell's shipping, I kept looking.

Brew Brothers in Hillsboro, OR had all the ingredients.
So I just ordered from Brew Brothers thinking this may be a one time fling.

AHS, you have great kits, 1190 of them, and I'm predominantly a kit brewer.
AHS, you are 1694.33 miles closer, and I'm concerned about the yeast.
AHS, your shipping rates are superb, but even with the much larger shipping costs at Brew Brothers, the order came out within $1 of a potential AHS order (with a substitute for the initial missing ingredient).

That said, I want to go steady with you, AHS, but ...

Brew Brothers has lots of organic items.
SWMBO, a cancer survivor, has requested that I substitute with organic whenever possible. In organic malts, AHS only has 2-row. OK, so I only ordered 0.6 lb of organic malt from Brew Brothers this time, but their potential is higher than AHS. Also, as a mini-mash brewer, I am thwarted by the lack of organic LME.

I love AHS kits. This is only the 3rd time I've pieced together a recipe. I'm likely to gradually lower my percentage of kits. I am NOT a big customer, basically brewing around eight times a year.

This will be my 22nd brew.
My first two came from XTreme Brewing.
My next 19 came from AHS.
#22 is coming from Brew Brothers.

At the moment, if the yeasties survive this trip, I'm planning to buy my occasional non-kits from Brew Brothers.

What could change my two-timing?

AHS, consider incorporating an organic toggle option for every kit that has 2-row. (Or set up a new kit for each organic possibility). It would take a good programmer, but you are in Austin and I bet you have lots of local programmers as walk-in customers.

AHS, consider increasing the variety of organic malts (and LME) and then incorporating them into your kits.

Love, Drom John

Thanks for the heads up on Brew Brothers, never heard of them. Organic extract is available at Seven Bridges Co-op (www.breworganic.com) and probably other places, but I just happen to know of Seven Bridges.

Plus your writing made me LOL ;)

Well, now the secret 's out. I hope my grain doesn't go up $10 a bag because of this.
Jk - what a great find and these guys are driving distance.

Not for me since I don't brew enough*, but I like the Brew Brothers virtual bags.
Buy a whole virtual bag, and scoop from it as needed, even 0.1 lb at a time.

*I mini-mash brew about 8 times a year. Because of virtual bag feature I calculated my grain usage. Including this order, I'm up to 65.90625 lbs of malt and grains since September 2009, with 2-row the leader at 16 lbs. Nope, I'm not bulk ordering, actual or virtual.

Back