Brew Boss Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to wonder what makes this pandemic so much worse than the ones in even the recent past that were about as bad. There were few closings etc. for those.... I think what is happening now might be necessary in the near future, but at present levels of infection I also think it is premature.

Hope you and all the other small business affected survive. Good luck.

Seasonal influenza caused flu has an R value of 1.3, which is how many people catch the virus from 1 single infected person. Covid19 R value is close to 3. It is much more contagious. Symptoms also may not show for up to 2 weeks after being infected where as flu symptoms come on very quickly. So with a high R value and symptoms that don't show for 2 weeks, a lot of people can become infected without knowing it, spreading the virus even more.

If we didn't have closures and stay at home orders, A LOT more people would become infected. While most cases are mild, there would still be more extreme cases. Hospitals are already full as it is. We don't have nearly enough equipment. If we didn't stay at home, there would most likely be more deaths simply because people wouldn't be able to get the treatment they need.

This is something you want to be proactive and not reactive.

Compared to H5N1, H1N1 and even Ebola, simply put, we reacted quicker and were ready. We were being proactive. The start of Covid19, the US was being reactive. Being reactive means you are too late.

To bring my post on topic, is anyone measuring temps from the middle of the mash? My BB temp probe is at the bottom of the kettle under the false bottom. I do step mashes and wanted to check the temp throughout the mash. I have found it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes for the entire mash temp to equalize.

This is Darin at Brew-Boss.
We no longer offer the budget 7" tablets. We only offer 10" tablets now and sell them at cost ($75). Out purpose is not to be a tablet supplier, but give people a reasonably priced Android tablet option if they don't already have one. We now use the iRULU X1s Lightning 10.1 Inch Google Android 4.4 KitKat Tablet PC, Octa Core, Multi-touch Display model. We have not heard of anyone having issues with these tablets. They are very fast and work really well in our experience. We also run a Brew on Premise where we have 6 Brew-Boss systems operating daily using the iRULU tablets and to date have never experienced a tablet related issue. We offer the tablet as an option, you can always buy your own tablet. We just don't want the cost of the tablet to overpower the cost of the Brew-Boss system.

I've been wanting this system for a long time. I'm coming from a Zymatic and a Cooler and Pot prior to that.
I think the 15 Gallon fits my needs - 5 gallon batches of varying gravity with the occasional 8-9 gallon batch.

From watching the videos, the process looks pretty straight forward. The only hesitation I have is the controller. I'm not an engineer or IT
inclined so I'm not sure if the control panel will be difficult for me. I'd like to be able to set a delayed timer so that mash temp is ready in the am. Dough In, then Program the following steps: Multi-Step Mashes, Mash out, Heat to Boil, Circulate, Chill, pump out to fermenter. I'd like to be able to program those steps without banging my head against the wall. Is the panel difficult to operate?

I've been wanting this system for a long time. I'm coming from a Zymatic and a Cooler and Pot prior to that.
I think the 15 Gallon fits my needs - 5 gallon batches of varying gravity with the occasional 8-9 gallon batch.

From watching the videos, the process looks pretty straight forward. The only hesitation I have is the controller. I'm not an engineer or IT
inclined so I'm not sure if the control panel will be difficult for me. I'd like to be able to set a delayed timer so that mash temp is ready in the am. Dough In, then Program the following steps: Multi-Step Mashes, Mash out, Heat to Boil, Circulate, Chill, pump out to fermenter. I'd like to be able to program those steps without banging my head against the wall. Is the panel difficult to operate?
As a brew-boss owner and user for last few years i can say without a doubt it is a piece of cake to operate. There is a bit of a learning curve to get a perfectly scripted complex brew, but i was doing just fine on my first brew using a basic template.

I find the Beersmith XML export imports into Brew-Boss work and give a fairly decent starting point, but i typically modify the steps beyond that import. I've sometimes had to manually do a step in the middle of the brew that wasn't programmed in, and it's very easy to do those. i.e. stop the pump for a bit while i stir the mash or adjust something, then turn it back on with the touch of a button on the tablet. Overall, I love my Brew-Boss and it strikes the perfect balance for me of having control over my brew and automation.

There is also this site, which is fairly easy to get the hang of on creating step files.

http://brewingintheburgh.com/brew-boss/index.html
Good luck. I highly recommend the system !!

As a brew-boss owner and user for last few years i can say without a doubt it is a piece of cake to operate. There is a bit of a learning curve to get a perfectly scripted complex brew, but i was doing just fine on my first brew using a basic template.

I find the Beersmith XML export imports into Brew-Boss work and give a fairly decent starting point, but i typically modify the steps beyond that import. I've sometimes had to manually do a step in the middle of the brew that wasn't programmed in, and it's very easy to do those. i.e. stop the pump for a bit while i stir the mash or adjust something, then turn it back on with the touch of a button on the tablet. Overall, I love my Brew-Boss and it strikes the perfect balance for me of having control over my brew and automation.

There is also this site, which is fairly easy to get the hang of on creating step files.

http://brewingintheburgh.com/brew-boss/index.html
Good luck. I highly recommend the system !!

Thanks! I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger.

My setup would be:
Preconfigured V3 Deluxe 15 Gallon 240V System
Inline GFCI
Whirlpool Boss

Curious how the Whirlpool Boss works and whether people are happy with it. If there are accessories or modifications that anyone feels
are indispensable let me know.

I'd also be curious if ya'll find the COFI system to be as easy and efficient. I've toyed with the idea of just buying a grain basket from
Arbor Fab and hooking a locline on the accessory port for mash recirc.

So I bought exactly what you are thinking a few years ago.
15 gallon v3, COFI, Whirlpool.
It's a great system, easy to use and makes great beer.
I prefer the COFI over just a fabricated basket due to how the sparge arm works and also how you squeeze the grain as you lift it.
I do keep the lid off during the mash to stir occasionally though and put the lid back on during mash-out.

Get the Inline GFCI, you can't find it much cheaper anywhere else and you need it.
Also the 90 degree elbow for the pump makes it a little more convenient but it isn't a "must have".

Thanks! I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger.

My setup would be:
Preconfigured V3 Deluxe 15 Gallon 240V System
Inline GFCI
Whirlpool Boss

Curious how the Whirlpool Boss works and whether people are happy with it. If there are accessories or modifications that anyone feels
are indispensable let me know.

This is basically the same setup as I have, but I have the COFI. I've been running Brew-Boss for a few years now and I love it. The latest swirl-boss is far better than their original one. I do believe it makes cooling the wort far more efficient than simply placing a immersion cooling device and letting it sit. A suggestion, go with the COFI. At worst you decide only to use the basket. You still have the option for using the tube. I've had no issues with it.

Good luck.

I'm getting real close..... It's a shame there's no free shipping though, that tacks another $100 onto the purchase. Does Darin usually have a Memorial Day sale?

I agree on the COFI, I wouldn't not use it but I do have more brews with the lid off then with it on. I've tried rice hulls with gummier mashes but it still doesn't replace manually stirring to get my wort levels matching inside and outside the basket.

I mentioned in another thread how i cycle thru the pump opening changes then do a stir and start again. I usually do that cycle about 3 times over an hour mash. Works for my mash efficiency to hit about 84%. I'm good with that number.

The swirl boss or whirlpool attachment isn't my favorite but that's probably because I reuse the basket in my boil as a giant hop spider (I use a lot of whole leaf hops) and the swirl boss doesn't fit with the basket back in. But that's just my issue as I'm too cheap to get a bigger hop spider as the COFI baskets double duty is working just fine. Also, I do recall the swirl boss getting clogged a few times with pellet hops. I might look into changing that to a local line or something else. Not a big deal though.

I look at the Brew boss this way. If i had to buy it again, would I pay the going rate for another one? My answer is a definite yes.

Good point on the COFI. I also tend to leave the lid off and stir the mash once in a while. I also throttle the valve to it so that I don't get wort spraying all over the sides (I typically do a 5 gallon batch in a 15 gallon kettle). My technique puts me in the upper 70's for efficiency according to BS3.
Incidently before using a hop-spider the swirl-boss did have a tendency to clog a bit with pellets. The spider fixed that.

Good point on the COFI. I also tend to leave the lid off and stir the mash once in a while. I also throttle the valve to it so that I don't get wort spraying all over the sides (I typically do a 5 gallon batch in a 15 gallon kettle). My technique puts me in the upper 70's for efficiency according to BS3.
Incidently before using a hop-spider the swirl-boss did have a tendency to clog a bit with pellets. The spider fixed that.

I also typically do 5 gallon batches in the 15 gallon kettle. I typically get around 80% efficiency with stirring every 10 minutes or so during the mash.
I also clogged the whirlpool a few times before getting a hop spider. Also use the hop spider for other additions like spices or fruit peels (like when making a witbier). I made the mistake of only using the hop spider for the hops and clogged the whirlpool with those other additions.
Only things I throw into the kettle and not the spider is the water additions (before mashing) and whirlfloc.

Has anyone with the Brew Boss built their own DS18B20 probe? Just wondering which rings on the jack are ground/vcc/data...

Is that a DS18B20 on the Brew Boss? Since DS18B20's are serialized and the code is not open source, I wouldn't think it would do any good to build your own. No way for the BB software to read the new one.

You might just email [email protected] and ask them.

Is that a DS18B20 on the Brew Boss? Since DS18B20's are serialized and the code is not open source, I wouldn't think it would do any good to build your own. No way for the BB software to read the new one.

You might just email [email protected] and ask them.

That's what Darin told me last year:

probes.jpg

I don't think emails are getting through to that domain since they suspended operations...hopefully only temporarily. Are the DS18B20 serials married to the controller? How would you replace them when they fail?? I think the serials are mainly for multiple sensor systems, right?

Attachments

• 1640109313902.png
    1640109313902.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 2
That's what Darin told me last year:

View attachment 752919

I don't think emails are getting through to that domain since they suspended operations...hopefully only temporarily. Are the DS18B20 serials married to the controller? How would you replace them when they fail?? I think the serials are mainly for multiple sensor systems, right?

In all of my work with DS18 sensors, they are individually serialized and using the "one wire" library you need to specify what the id is in order to read them. Now it could be that every time the system fires up, it reads the temp port, determines the id and then uses that to read the sensor.

I'm usually using multiple temp probes, so I never gave any thought to dynamically reading the probe and using that. Would probably work great in a single temp probe system. I actually do that in one of my systems, but only in the config section so that I can select which probe is at what location.

Now that I think about it, my Blichmann uses a single DS18B20, which I recently replaced and the system picked it up and works no problem. Might be something I'll look into.

I did see that their site is "temporarily suspended" and that's a bummer. I hope if they can't get back to operational that Darin will release the code to open source so we can keep it going. At our brewery we rely heavily on the Brew Boss 20 gallon system to do our R&D.

To follow up on this, Darin replied to my email and besides this probe thing answered a few unrelated questions. He sold me a replacement probe, so it stands to reason that the serial of the ds18b20 doesn't matter..must be read dynamically since he made no mention of program changes, right?

Knowing nothing about the specific product involved here, it is possible to construct a one-wire host supporting multiple ds18b20 devices as discrete "one per channel" elements presuming sufficient IO ports. Host drivers would be hard-coded to take one device per pre-defined IO pin and rely on labeling to steer the user...

Cheers!

Yea, it would have to be by IO port/pin because from what I can tell you can't count on the order of received serial Ids when reading sensors on one pin. Either way, Darin seems to be doing something like this, since he provided a new sensor with no concern about serialization. Good to know.

@kc.rkitek don't suppose Darin gave you the wiring sset up for that 3.5 mm plug did he?

Yea, it would have to be by IO port/pin because from what I can tell you can't count on the order of received serial Ids when reading sensors on one pin. Either way, Darin seems to be doing something like this, since he provided a new sensor with no concern about serialization. Good to know.

@kc.rkitek don't suppose Darin gave you the wiring sset up for that 3.5 mm plug did he?
No, sir.

It can be figured out with a meter and a resistor. First check for ground pin. The other two will (should assuming not wired in parasitic mode) read Vcc (5 or 3.3V). Then put the resistor from ground to those pins. The data pin will now read a much lower voltage. The Vcc pin will read about the same. 2.2k resistor should do the trick.

so i just tried to hit up the brew boss site, says operations have been suspended?! wtf? is he going out of business?

I had a conversation with Darin just over a year ago when I was trying to order and he was out of stock. He's had major difficulties with his supply chain. Particularly, the parts for building controllers. All his vendors were backed up so he couldn't get what he needed for a production run. Not sure when/if he'll get things going again, but I sure hope he does!

To follow up on this, Darin replied to my email and besides this probe thing answered a few unrelated questions. He sold me a replacement probe, so it stands to reason that the serial of the ds18b20 doesn't matter..must be read dynamically since he made no mention of program changes, right?
Do you have an email for Darin ?? I'd like to see if he has any of the grain baskets that were offered last September.
Brew-Boss Electric Home Brewing

Here's what Darin told me when I asked about it way back in 2016:

Our probe may not work with other devices designed for a DS18B20 probe. Ours is custom made for us with a unique address range. Others have tried it unsuccessfully and have burned out our probe. So be careful.

The tip is Positive, the middle is data and the base is ground.

Darin

That said, I have a brewpiless fermentation temp control system I built that works with the BrewBoss probe. I designed my system to use the same pinout so when I'm done brewing I can pull the probe from one system and plug it into the next and it's never been a problem. I've also used a probe I've built with the BrewBoss without any issues.

Here's what Darin told me when I asked about it way back in 2016:

That said, I have a brewpiless fermentation temp control system I built that works with the BrewBoss probe. I designed my system to use the same pinout so when I'm done brewing I can pull the probe from one system and plug it into the next and it's never been a problem. I've also used a probe I've built with the BrewBoss without any issues.
Thanks for that info. If the one I just bought from Darin fails, I may try to build the next. I'm also in the process of building a couple of Thorrak's brewpi-esp8266 controllers for my ferm chamber and keezer (just starting this). Ideally, every probe I have on hand would work on any of the devices...you know, in case of emergency.

The Brewboss website is still down and I believe Darin has gone out of business. I hope it is temporary and that he is OK and not ill. I have a 20 gallon brewboss system and belong to the "Brew-Boss Electric Brewing Brewing Group" Facebook Group. No one in that group has received a response from Darin and fear Brewboss is going to be permanently out of business. Is he OK? There are just over 100 members in the group. There are some knowledgeable users in this group (not me), including some that know what probes work, how to order replacement parts in the controlller and may even now have the source code. The administrator of the site has gathered up manuals and other info that may be of use. We may be on our own from here on out if Darin closes up permanently.

I love my Jaded Hydra. It does currently sit on the element without issue, but I am planning on fabricating something to support it so it doesn't potentially damage the element in the long run.

I'm not too worried about it, I'm renting. :D
Sometimes I move it under the garage door, but most of the time I just leave it where it is. When I buy a home I'm going to be building this system inside the house so I will have an exhaust fan at that point.
I put my 20 gallon brewboss in the basement right next to my ferment chamber and kegerator. I got the condenser attachment and do not have an exhaust hood. The condenser works fine and I don't need a fan. Brewboss is out of business as of Jan 2022.....but it may just be a temporary closure due to lack of supply on parts for Darin. There are other condensors in addition to the one he sells that also should work as long as you can add a camlock fitting to attach it to the kettle. If Darin is out of business permanently you may want to join the Brew-Boss Electric Brewing Users Group Facebook page.....for self service customer support.

so my biggest issue I've run into is the little silicon feet on the bottom of the COFI basket... any idea where to get those if Darin is gone? those little f'n things break all the time.

Back