Brew Boss Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all - I downloaded the most recent Brew Boss app update before this weekend's brew session. I am using the cheap Android tablet that ships with the system and have never had any issues.

The new software is meant to work with the updated BB controller but I can no longer connect to my Hops Boss wirelessly.

I have e-mail Darin on this and his suggestion was to check the IP address in the settings (it was fine). May be just a bug in the new software...

Just curious if anyone else had experienced anything like this?

First-world problem, I know. It just stinks to have a dialed in recipe go a bit off the rails because the "automated" system was not so. Normally, I sit with my BB the entire time I'm brewing. Yesterday, I was multi-tasking and it caught me off guard... Either way - no wi-fi Hops Boss until this gets sorted...

Hi all - I downloaded the most recent Brew Boss app update before this weekend's brew session. I am using the cheap Android tablet that ships with the system and have never had any issues.

The new software is meant to work with the updated BB controller but I can no longer connect to my Hops Boss wirelessly.

I have e-mail Darin on this and his suggestion was to check the IP address in the settings (it was fine). May be just a bug in the new software...

Just curious if anyone else had experienced anything like this?

First-world problem, I know. It just stinks to have a dialed in recipe go a bit off the rails because the "automated" system was not so. Normally, I sit with my BB the entire time I'm brewing. Yesterday, I was multi-tasking and it caught me off guard... Either way - no wi-fi Hops Boss until this gets sorted...

I have an older controller with the new app. My last brew the automation didn't work as it normally did. I had to manually adjust a few things. I wonder if the app has a few bugs right now.

We have just released V2.04 of the Brew-Boss app to the Google Play Store. Please make certain to update to this version before your next brew session.

I'll test this one out tonight and report back! Thanks for being so eager to support your customers, Darin!! :mug:

Thank you. I haven't updated my brew-boss since I purchased it, as I've never had a problem with its performance.

Hi Doughboy - just to clarify: This is the app that is on your tablet. I haven't updated my controller firmware, either (there's really no need because it always works!).

Just wanted to make sure that was clear. :tank:

With ver 2.04 when i go to save a brew steps file I get white text on a slightly "darker" white background in the box at the top where you input the file name, anybody else?

Yes I had the same thing Thursday when I brewed.
I also noticed when I went to recall a recipe and tapped on it, it wouldn't display in the top line I just hit ok and it opened.
There wasn't an option for manual or automatic.

When in automatic mode is there a way to back up a step or add a step if missed without starting over?
Example, missed a hop addition or mash step.

There have been no changes to the file dialogs in any recent version. We have received a new version of our compiler and it is possible it has changed behavior on some versions of Android. Could you please send a screenshot or video of you going to that screen to [email protected].

Regarding Automatic vs manual, please see this video. Many people misunderstand what Automatic vs Manual is. Automatic simply steps to the next brew step automatically after the previous one ends. Manual stops after each step. In general, never use manual step mode as it was designed for debugging new step files, not for actual brew sessions. You can always stop brewing and start from any step using the dropdown "Select Step to Start"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-xziw2-RTk

I also have an issue with the hop-boss connection status showing even though I don't have one and it is disabled in the parameters. I can make it go away temporarily by enabling then disabling the hop-boss in parameters.

I will also try to supply a screen shot of the file dialog with the white text.

I've used hybrid mash (less water during mash) for my bigger beers and have been very successful in the past but wanting to a 9 gallon batch that calls for close to 30lbs of grain. Anybody tried anything close to that with success?

Tendal, I have the 15 gallon system and have brewed BIG beers a number of times, With 30 lbs your COFI will be about maxed out. What I do to help my efficiency is to heat about 3 gallons of additional sparge water and just after mash out as my COFI is draining, I ladle the sparge water over the top. I monitor my volume. I once had an issue of the volume of grain blocking my pump, it finally started and all was well. Good luck. Cheers

Just upgraded my swirl boss to the new design. What an improvement!!! First having stainless is so much better than copper. So much easier to attached. It works so much better now too...

I was a little worried this wouldn't fit right with my Jadded Immersion Chiller but it slips right in behind it.

I have been having issues with my brews. For some reason certain prompts don't move on to the next. Does this look correct to everyone?

Untitled.jpg

Unfortunately I can't remember which one I was using when it happened. I'm brewing Thursday with the one I attached last page. If it happens again I will let you know.

Anyone have issues with the mash temp going up 3°F? Brewing now and my first step mash is 148°F and every few minutes it will start to climb and reach 151°F. It will go back down a few minutes later. Any reason for that? Is there a setting to keep the power lower when the element needs to fire during the mash?

make certain your temperature probe is not touching the COFI filter inside or touching the kettle (make sure o-rings are supporting the probe. Also, what is your PwrS and PwrL set at?

make certain your temperature probe is not touching the COFI filter inside or touching the kettle (make sure o-rings are supporting the probe. Also, what is your PwrS and PwrL set at?

I have the legacy system. I use a brew bag. The probe is in a 1.5" TC port so there are no issues with it touching the sides.

I'm using the controller now. When I'm done brewing I'll look into the settings.

Anyone have issues with the mash temp going up 3°F? Brewing now and my first step mash is 148°F and every few minutes it will start to climb and reach 151°F. It will go back down a few minutes later. Any reason for that? Is there a setting to keep the power lower when the element needs to fire during the mash?

Definitely check your PwrS and PwrL settings. My mash looked like a hacksaw blade. Darrin had me change the PwrS and PwrL settings and now it is flat lined.

Here are the parameters...

PwrS - 75
PwrL - 50
PwrM - 25
PwrB - 35
DeltaT1 - 4
DeltaT2 - 2

Edit: Just looked at the instructions and saw this for 5 gallon

PwrS = 50% PwrM = 10% PwrL = 20% PwrB = 63% Delta T1 = 6 degrees F Delta T2 = 3 degrees F

I'm going to change S, L and M.

Last edited:
I’ll be finishing my work station this week and hope to do my first brew on Christmas Day

This thread has been an incredible resource

Thanks to all who’ve posted as I’m learning a ton

I attempted to add steps to the tablet but got confused

Each line says don’t edit used for spacing? Am I supposed to manually type the step instructions over the text already there?

Are the step instructions already saved to cut and paste?

Instructions not real clear and I’m not a techie

I was interested in the Robobrew until I read more of this system. I'll have to see it working though so since his place is only about 30 miles away in Oconomowoc, WI, time for a road trip. He's got a place also called U Brew U with about 6 systems all set up that you can take a group in, brew a batch, ferment on site and come back for a bottling day.

I attempted to add steps to the tablet but got confused

Each line says don’t edit used for spacing? Am I supposed to manually type the step instructions over the text already there?

Are the step instructions already saved to cut and paste?

Instructions not real clear and I’m not a techie

Personally, I don't use the app to edit steps unless there's a small adjustment to timing. Try this STP generator webpage done by user @Snicklefritz instead:

http://brewingintheburgh.com/brew-boss/index.html

It's much easier to edit and rearrange steps with this generator than the app, especially if you do it from the browser on a computer rather than the tablet.

Personally, I don't use the app to edit steps unless there's a small adjustment to timing. Try this STP generator webpage done by user @Snicklefritz instead:

http://brewingintheburgh.com/brew-boss/index.html

It's much easier to edit and rearrange steps with this generator than the app, especially if you do it from the browser on a computer rather than the tablet.

How do you upload these to the tablet? I’m not very tablet user friendly. Assume you export the changes made from the pc to the tablet?

Overall after doing my first wet run I’m impressed! The only change I’d like to make is the WiFi from the tablet to the B.B. controller wish I could just connect via USB. Other than that this electric brewing beats the hell out of waiting on a gas burner to heat up the pot!

How do you upload these to the tablet? I’m not very tablet user friendly. Assume you export the changes made from the pc to the tablet?

Overall after doing my first wet run I’m impressed! The only change I’d like to make is the WiFi from the tablet to the B.B. controller wish I could just connect via USB. Other than that this electric brewing beats the hell out of waiting on a gas burner to heat up the pot!

I use Google Drive to get files to my tablet. Dropbox would work too, or even email it to yourself (assuming you can get your email on the tablet). After that you need a File Explorer app to move the file from where you downloaded it to the Brew-Boss/Step files folder.

You can plug the tablet into your PC and it will act like a driver. Open the brew boss folder and then stp folder and drag and drop. That's it

How long should this take using the IRulu tablet that is supplied with the B.B. system?

Anyone have any luck using this? Or are you guys using Samsung/IPads ?

IMG_0261.jpg

Last edited:
Back