Brew Boss Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FreddieMar3, I am very interested in your plans. Question - what would make it capable of also doing 5 gallon batches? What would be different than the Brew Boss?

Two main differences:

-The 20 gallon kettle I bought has the same footprint as BB's 15 gallon kettle but is taller. This means that the mandatory dead space under the basket that is needed to clear the element is minimized. A 3.5 inch clearance in a 17.75in D kettle has more dead space than a 3.5 inch clearance in a 15.75in kettle. Does that make sense?

-Putting the recirc inlet in the lid allows me to get a mesh basket that will take up more of the space on the sides inside the kettle, lowering the grain height closer to the water level. I should have about .25-.35 inch clearance on all sides of the basket. The accessory port on the side of the BB kettle mandates that the basket is smaller so that it fits in.

I'm probably 2 months away from having the setup complete (parts backordered) and 4-5 months away from finishing my garage remodel, so it will be a while until I actually get to test it.

Will do! It's going to be a while before I have anything new to update. I have months worth of construction projects to get my garage up to snuff. started trenching my back yard this weekend for water and electric.

So I'm looking for advice. Should I scrap the idea of getting the COFI since more grain will fit into a BIAB mesh bag? Or maybe I'm completely overthinking this. I just would like to avoid not having enough capacity for the imperials that I'd like to brew.

Thanks in advance guys.

I am concerned about the amount of grain as well. I have found a site that will build a custom basket to whatever size you want.

https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php#biab

I am with freddymar3 on why such a smaller basket for the kettle size? My thought is it must be to clear the sparge arm connector. I have pretty much designed a clone of the system using the brewboss kettle and some of the accessories but going with my own custcom basket with just the sparge arm.

I am concerned about the amount of grain as well. I have found a site that will build a custom basket to whatever size you want.

https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php#biab

I am with freddymar3 on why such a smaller basket for the kettle size? My thought is it must be to clear the sparge arm connector. I have pretty much designed a clone of the system using the brewboss kettle and some of the accessories but going with my own custcom basket with just the sparge arm.

Those are the same guys that I am using for my basket. It will run around $280 with shipping included.

The small basket size on BB HAS to be because of the accessory port. If everything works out as calculated. I should be able to brew anything from 5-15 gallons and up to 1.080 OG or more on the 15 gallon batches. I won't have to drill a single hole, all ports will be custom welded. There is a diagram of my kettle setup at post #193. I changed it slightly since then but close enough.

Nice! You beat me to it! I am almost doing the exact same setup. Can't wait to see how your system turns out.

After much deliberation and running cylindrical volume calculations, I decided to pull the trigger on a kettle today and "DIY" this setup. The only real part I will be doing myself is soldering a copper sparge ring to a female MPT. The rest of the fabrication will be done handled by three vendors:

-Brew Boss for the controller and element
-Utah Biodiesel Supply for the basket
-Brewers Hardware for everything else.

If all goes to plan, I'll just have to assemble the parts when they arrive. The system should be able to accommodate 45-50 lbs of grain but also be able to brew 5 gallon batches.

Here is my flow chart for the kettle. Not the prettiest thing ever, but you get the idea:

Nice! You beat me to it! I am almost doing the exact same setup. Can't wait to see how your system turns out.

Likewise! Post pictures as you put it together. I'll do the same. You'll probably beat me to it. My kettle is back ordered so not going to be here until late July. then have to take final measurements for the basket. probably 2 months out from having all the parts and 4 months from brewing (brewery renno).

The small basket size on BB HAS to be because of the accessory port. If everything works out as calculated. I should be able to brew anything from 5-15 gallons and up to 1.080 OG or more on the 15 gallon batches. I won't have to drill a single hole, all ports will be custom welded. There is a diagram of my kettle setup at post #193. I changed it slightly since then but close enough.

Can you just remove the accessory port between brewing? Then you can get a larger basket. It doesn't look like it is welded at all.

Rex

Can you just remove the accessory port between brewing? Then you can get a larger basket. It doesn't look like it is welded at all.

Rex

I think that would be doable. I'm 99% sure it is a weldless fitting. You could do that just for getting the basket in and out. It still wouldn't solve the 5gal batch issue on the 20gal kettle because the dead space is too great at that diameter. It would, however, allow you to fit more grain for 10gal batches in the 15gal system (or any other for that matter).

Quick question for those that have the system already. Do the tablet and controller communicate directly to each other or do they need to be logged on to your home wifi network? I will be brewing in my detached garage, far away from my home network.

Quick question for those that have the system already. Do the tablet and controller communicate directly to each other or do they need to be logged on to your home wifi network? I will be brewing in my detached garage, far away from my home network.

The tablet and controller communicate directly with each other. The controller actually has its own dedicated WiFi that the tablet connects to. Your home network is not needed.

So we know for a 15gal (with COFI) set up making 10 gallons were stuck at ~22lbs of grain and ~1.052 OG, but what about a 15gal COFI set up making 5 gallon batch? What do we figure is the max OG?

Considering getting the 15gal set up for 5 gallon batches only.

So we know for a 15gal (with COFI) set up making 10 gallons were stuck at ~22lbs of grain and ~1.052 OG, but what about a 15gal COFI set up making 5 gallon batch? What do we figure is the max OG?

Considering getting the 15gal set up for 5 gallon batches only.

I easily did a 1.082 DIPA two weeks ago...18lbs of grain....had room for another 5-6 lbs of grain

So after a little tech support, I was able to do my dry run. Amazing how fast it gets to strike temp and boil. Not sure if I like the stand I am using-it may be a little small. I'm using a rolling shelf and use the top shelf to hold a pulley.
EPPSpCdRNwcSr2Ps7

I have read everything I can find about Brew Boss. Something intrigues me, and it is the same thing that intrigues me about the Picobrew. With the grains in the basket (or cage), how do you keep from having "dough balls" or dead spots? I am building a BIAB system, and want to automate it. Not stirring the mash would be great --- if it will work --- and it looks like it will. Any comments or suggestions?

Let me preface this by saying I have never done all grain on a traditional 3 vessel system using a mash tun. I have a 15 gallon Brew Boss system and it is my understanding that it is due to starting with a full water volume when the grains are dumped in. I start with at least 7.5 gallons for a 5 gallon batch. I do stir at first to make sure everything is saturated well but then let the system go to work.

Christmas in July...

The welds look fantastic. Brewer's Hardware were amazing to work with. I can't count how many times I called to ask questions and make specific requests about ferrule placements. Threw all the fittings on to make sure I didn't forget to order anything.

HD had a copper fitting that screws right on to the elbow from BH. I bought a 5 ft length of hard copper and will create a square sparge arm of sorts with a tube that runs down the center of the grain basket, somewhat similar to the COFI.

The diptube is my limiting factor on the feet height of the basket. The top of it is 3.5" off the floor of the kettle.

I just finished putting my back yard together after trenching and running the 80 ft of water line and electric. Now on to renovating the garage. probably three months out still until I can use this baby. It'll serve as great motivation!

Kettle1.jpg

Kettle2.jpg

Kettle3.jpg

Kettle 4.JPG

Christmas in July...

The welds look fantastic. Brewer's Hardware were amazing to work with. I can't count how many times I called to ask questions and make specific requests about ferrule placements. Threw all the fittings on to make sure I didn't forget to order anything.

HD had a copper fitting that screws right on to the elbow from BH. I bought a 5 ft length of hard copper and will create a square sparge arm of sorts with a tube that runs down the center of the grain basket, somewhat similar to the COFI.

The diptube is my limiting factor on the feet height of the basket. The top of it is 3.5" off the floor of the kettle.

I just finished putting my back yard together after trenching and running the 80 ft of water line and electric. Now on to renovating the garage. probably three months out still until I can use this baby. It'll serve as great motivation!

Sweet looking Kettle

If you dont' mind me asking.... (you do not have to answer if you don't want to)

What did that cost you?

Steve

Thanks, Steve. So without the pump and pump fittings, the kettle setup with all the bells and whistles would be about $860 +/- before shipping.

I just requested the quote from Utah Biodiesel today for the basket. Then hopefully Brew Boss will have another sale otherwise I'll buy the controller/element closer to when I'm done outfitting my garage. All in, I'm looking at about $2k, shipping included.

Adding pumpkin to the Cofi made for a sticky mash ...less efficient because it caused some dough balls ...took a lot longer to drain too ...just FYI

Adding pumpkin to the Cofi made for a sticky mash ...less efficient because it caused some dough balls ...took a lot longer to drain too ...just FYI

Did you just add canned pumpkin into the COFI with the grains? thats what Ive don in the past for pumpkin beers with BIAB. Worked fine, but im worried about gunking up my new brew boss system...

In case anyone was holding out for another discount, looks like we won't see one until Black Friday.

Did you just add canned pumpkin into the COFI with the grains? thats what Ive don in the past for pumpkin beers with BIAB. Worked fine, but im worried about gunking up my new brew boss system...

add to the grains in the COFI....made a mess ...but it easily rinsed out..no issues cleaning

Looks good, coming along! Just make sure you have some way to completely flush the sparge arm out. I did a COFI style arm for mine, somewhere long the way a bit of grain got outside of the bag and into the sparge arm. One day I noticed a bit of husk sticking out of the bottom holes near the end cap, upon further inspection the bottom cap was full of grain material and starting to mold. I unsoldered the cap and for the new one I drilled a hole horizontally through the cap and sparge arm and used a ss screw and nut through that to hold it on. Now it's removable to allow for a thorough cleaning...

Looks good, coming along! Just make sure you have some way to completely flush the sparge arm out. I did a COFI style arm for mine, somewhere long the way a bit of grain got outside of the bag and into the sparge arm. One day I noticed a bit of husk sticking out of the bottom holes near the end cap, upon further inspection the bottom cap was full of grain material and starting to mold. I unsoldered the cap and for the new one I drilled a hole horizontally through the cap and sparge arm and used a ss screw and nut through that to hold it on. Now it's removable to allow for a thorough cleaning...

Great tip! I was thinking about that being a potential issue. My former tippy dump system used to get grain bits in the sparge ring all the time. Huge PITA. Thanks for saving me the trouble. :mug:

Merlin, one more quick question. What size holes did you drill in yours? Not the one for the screw but the holes that wort comes out of.

1/8"

I used 1/2" copper pipe and I have five holes evenly spaced around the circumference. I have five of those "rings" going up the pipe spaced 1 3/4" apart starting just above the cap at the bottom. I do primarily 5 gallon batches and that works very well, you would probably want add more holes up the pipe for larger batches...

1/8"

I used 1/2" copper pipe and I have five holes evenly spaced around the circumference. I have five of those "rings" going up the pipe spaced 1 3/4" apart starting just above the cap at the bottom. I do primarily 5 gallon batches and that works very well, you would probably want add more holes up the pipe for larger batches...

Thanks again. I was planning to do something similar. I am going to be drilling smaller holes in the side arms on the top, as well.

Freddy, what size pot do you have and what are the dimensions of the basket?

I have the 15 gallon pot. I looked quickly at their site and it looks like the biggest size they make is still too small for my pot. Did you email them the dimensions you need?

Freddy, what size pot do you have and what are the dimensions of the basket?

I have the 15 gallon pot. I looked quickly at their site and it looks like the biggest size they make is still too small for my pot. Did you email them the dimensions you need?

I did do a custom sized basket. My kettle is a 20 gallon, 15.75" diameter kettle. It is 25 inches tall. https://www.brewershardware.com/20-...th-Tangential-Inlet-and-Temperature-Port.html

Here are the order details for my basket:
BIAB: 15" Diameter x 20.25" Tall (total basket height with feet: 23.75)
400 Micron
with 3.5" Feet (the feet have silicon rubber nobs that help it just clear my dip tube)
(3) 3/8" drilled holes in the top

If i were to do it again, I would go a quarter inch narrower on the basket diameter. It JUST fits and I imagine it will show some light scratching on the insides of the kettle over time as I lift it in and out.

Back