Brew Boss / Boil rate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewswithshoes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for any help from other Brew Boss owners or those familiar with boil off rate calculations.

I did a wet run on a new BB 15G system, but only did 30 minute boil thinking i could get the hourly boil rate by just doubling.

However, i noticed on trying to get more calculations, the water cooled & shrank so in trying to get my cooling rate/percentage i'm thinking i maybe should have boiled the whole hour so i would have known the actual ending volume.

Here is what i got on the wet run:

Starting Volume: 8G
Starting temp:72 degress
Time to boil temp (211 degrees for me): 34 mins
30 minute boil volume: 7.35G (.65G)
Cooled back to ambient volume: 6.7G

Do I have to start over and do a full hour boil, to get the true cooling percentage? or can i still figure that out from this??

Cooling should be 4% or .294 gal. So boiloff is around .35 gal per 1/2 hr or .7 gal per hr. What % do you have your pwb set at? Thats low compared to mine set at 70% pwb. I get about 1.25 gal per hr boiloff at 70% pwb.

Btw. I do use the BB controller but have a spike kettle 20 gal. Same element as on on the BB systems as well.

i think my hourly boil off rate is 1.3G/hr since i lost .65 in the 30 minute boil. I was just surprised that the volume drop so low when cooling. granted, i just let it sit uncovered and settle back to ambient over several hours, but that it went from 7.35G from when i stopped the boil, to the 6.7G after it was cooled back to ambient. i seem to have lost more in cooling from a percentage view than i did with the boil. that is what is messing me up when trying to do any calculations as that cooling rate doesn't seem right.

Did i maybe lose an unusually high amount to evaporation during cooling since i just let it sit for several hours to go back to ambient??

Back