Brew at the Zoo (Wash, DC)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmohel

Reaction score
Anyone going to this? http://nationalzoo.si.edu/ActivitiesAndEvents/YoungProfessionals/AfterHours/default.cfm

I sure am! Nice list of breweries that are going to be in attendance:
  • Founders' Restaurant and Brewing Company
  • Shenandoah Brewing Company
  • Hops Restaurant and Brewery
  • Barley and Hops Grill and Microbrewery
  • Clipper City Brewing Company
  • Rock Bottom Arlington
  • Capitol City Brewing Company
  • Sweetwater Tavern
  • Dogfish Head
  • Fordham Brewing Company
  • Abita Brewing Company
  • Allagash
  • Flying Dog Ale
  • Rogue
  • Victory Brewing Company
  • DeKoninck Brewing
  • Chimay
  • Young's
  • Maredsous
  • Belhaven Brewery
  • Oliver's Brewery
  • He'Brew

ORRELSE said:
I'll be darned...I have that day and the next day off....I just might head up to that!!!! Sounds cool but its only 2 1/2 hours? Hmmm....

Uhh, by my calcultions, 6PM to 9:30PM would be three and a half hours. Genius. :D :p

I don't quite get the event, but DFH, Rogue, Victory and Chimay are going to be there.....I wanna go!!

It is being sponsored by FONZ which is a organization that is raising money for the National Zoo. If you are unaware the Zoo has fallen under some, err, tough times and has been under public scrutiny.

Seems like a good way to draw attention and raise money.

I am most impressed that they have breweries like Chimay and Young from Europe. (But am looking forward to Victory the most)

Sam75, you may want to keep the brew time and add the grain bill when you and Orrelse brew together. However, Orrelse posted at 9:15pm, so he may have been half way into a case of homebrew. Hence, addition and subtraction become a little fuzzy. :D

(whining) You guys get all the cool stuff on the East coast.

Born Brewing Co. said:
(whining) You guys get all the cool stuff on the East coast.

There are all sorts of festivals upcoming throughout the midwest. Forgot where I saw a list. I think it was on realbeer. Might want to check that out.

Can't wait. This event is tonight.

Anyone else here planning on attending?

Wayne Havens said:
I wanted to go, but the wife would not let me fly round trip to DC just to drink beer......without her.

How about Boston? There is a beer festival being hosted by Beer Advocate in the end of October. I am trying to find a way to make it to that one.

Shmohel said:
I am most impressed that they have breweries like Chimay and Young from Europe. (But am looking forward to Victory the most)
I went to a Belgian beer festival there in DC back in early 2001. Most of those brewerys were there as well. Victory really stood out among the domestic breweries that were represented. I am very please to finally find there beer here in Texas. I will drink a Golden Monkey for ya tonight. (Or 2 or 3......................

Let me report back to you all. It was a great evening.

Nice weather, and really well laid out I thought. Most of the breweries brought two or three beers with them. One that stood out in my mind was Allagash Grand Cru. I did not catch all of what the lady had told me about it (I had drank a bit by that point) but I do know she said it was a seasonal beer with orange and coriander. It was amazingly smooth, and really hit the spot.

Most of the pours were only a couple ounces (they gave use cool mugs). But, when I was in the Victory line, the attendant must have overheard me raving to someone else about their IPA, so when I got up to the front he poured me a full glass. Man, that Hopdevil NEVER gets old.

I also had:
Flying Dog Pale Ale
Flying Dog Hefe
Hops Amber Ale
Belhaven Scotch Ale
Youngs Double Choc
Clipper City Rasp Hefe (It is not Clipper, but they were at the same stand and I forget who made it)

All in all a nice evening with good food and better beer.

Back