Brew All Grain RIMS System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjcavitt

Reaction score
Just saw a video on YouTube promoting the brewallgrain.com RIMS system. I was about to pull the trigger on the equipment to build my own and it was going to cost me several hundred for the system. This one is going for $249 which sounds great on the surface but also makes me a little nervous.

Has anybody out there seen or used this RIMS system? If so, how did it work out?

Interesting idea, not a bad price for what it is. However it violates a Golden Rule IMO - which is don't put electric components in the same box with liquids, unless you are damn sure that it is impossible for the two to mix. I'd be curious to see what it looks like with the cover open.

Wow this is exactly what Ive been looking for. I am a bit nervous though about the electronics and liquid in one box. I wonder if it is separated inside the box by walls.

Apparently this is not the most popular thread...I just stumbled on their website. Looks really cool but I cannot find any reviews. Anyone using this thing?

OK, I emailed the vendor; his name is Joe. Asked him:
-how does he seal the RIMS tube (guaranteed leak free?)
-materials used in RIMS tube-does he have SS options?
-Can he replace barb with 1/2" NPT male

He responded almost immediately with the following. Not sure if this was auto reply; if so, it's a good one:

"Thanks for the email with the great questions. Right now our temperature controllers are currently backlogged due to some issues at our manufacturing site. We may have to change some of the design aspects of the temperature controller to resolve these issues. Since we’re still working through these details, I will save your email and get back to you once all of the new product specs are determined. Again, thanks for the questions and your interest in our product."

Interesting. I'd like to see the inside of the box.

f3c0ca230ea4698a86051da9defa33c5.jpg

So this is Joe from BrewAllGrain.com and I've been following this forum. Our company has begun to manufacture the temperature controllers that you've been discussing but we have run into some manufacturing issues for full scale production as mentioned in my email above (thanks shroomsofdoom for the questions). We find ourselves at a bit of a turning point since fixing all these issues would put us down for awhile and have to change some aspects of the temperature controller (and add to costs).

When we've been developing this product, after multiple prototypes and going through multiple suppliers, we've been able to cut the cost of building one of these RIMS systems. One of the options we've been discussing instead of manufacturing the RIMS system is providing a step by step guide on how to build the system which would include where to buy each part for the lowest cost. Using all American suppliers and the local hardware store, this RIMS system could be made for under $125. Responding to TJCavitt's post, when you know how to build and where to get all the supplies it doesn't have to cost you hundreds of dollars to make a quality RIMS system. We're bouncing around the idea of selling this guide with all sourcing info for around $10.

As many of you have discussed, I would recommend not using the box enclosure if building at home due to leak concerns (we do numerous tests to make sure we have no leak points but if someone took it apart there could be an issue as you guys point out). The box is also the most difficult part to manufacture and is the only part of production that requires specialized tools. Everything else is straight forward to put together.

What do you guys think? Creating the guide would allow us to get rid of the headache that we’ve just found ourselves in manufacturing this system and building your own would allow for customization that a lot of our customers are looking for. Is $10 reasonable and would anyone be interested?

By the way, love the “That’s what she said” comment:)

Hmmm... There are other threads on this forum and others that have RIMS plans for free. That being said, I don't think they give explicit info on where to get the parts or give close price estimates. That would be helpful. I'm not a tech savvy person so I would need plans to be idiot proof for it to be worth it for me. That's why I was so excited to see your product. It bridges the gap for those who aren't very DIY and those who don't want to spend a ton of cash for an system from B3 or Brew Magic.
If the plans are really good. $10 would be very worth it to me.

How long do you think it would be before your guide is floating around the Internet for nothing? I think the value in your product is for those that don't want to or can't build one.

When you say it would increase cost, how much are you talking about? It already sounds like a great deal, especially compared to other systems out there What I really like is that this is a "plug &play" system. I am also not very tech savvy and would still be concerned with the electrical side of the build.

Joe, I think the value is also in the plug and play aspect and that your guide will quickly get posted somewhere for free. One only has to look at the RIMS for dummies thread of any one of several dozen control panels builds here and they can build one for free. Some like Kal, Pol, and P-J have painstakingly documented their builds.

For those with little to no electrical experience, there are no reasonably priced plug and play alternatives.

I am thinking of some competitors:
1. Sabco RIMS Wizard is plug and play--but like $1700
2. Brewers Hardware has a NICE RIMS tube, but you still have to have a controller
3. Brewtroller and BCS can simplify a system design and are expandable
4. PID controls can be a bit daunting for the inexperienced, DIY RIMS for dummies tube
5. Johnson A419, Love, etc
6. EBC from High Gravity (kinda pricey for what you get IMO)

I was only skeptical that you could put a tube, PID, relay, control panel, wires, element etc and still make a few bucks at that price.

IMO, move that RIMS tube outside the panel, offer an upcharge for stainless parts and you've got something even at slightly higher than the $250 price point

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. Shroomz, you've obviously done your homework on RIMS systems. So what else would you be looking for in options on the RIMS system? I've heard stainless steel right above. We've also gotten emails about adding quick connects. What else? As we're going through all of our options its great to have this feedback to continue to tweak the product.

http://www.brewallgrain.com/products.htm

Ability to service the element for WHEN you get a stuck sparge and the element goes. Most new RIMS brewers will pop the element at least once. I thought of adding a sightglass so you see wort moving, but this can't be done cheaply afaik.

PS-I will be happy to test whatever you send me if you need some beta help. :)

I just wanted to add that I was/am pretty excited about this system. The plug and play aspect is huge for me. I hope you actually do the manufacturing instead of selling the plans.

IMAO, homebrewers I meet are usually DIYers and prefer to build it themselves (and add any customizations). I like the plans idea and you could sell them for more than $10. I'd probably pay $30. Sites also exist that will watermark the plans in case they are shared. Maybe you could resell all the hard to get parts as a kit with the plans so it is not as easy as just getting ahold of the plans.

Good luck with the venture. I hope to get a RIMS setup one day.

Back