Brett Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTownLiquorPig

Reaction score
Well, I brewed and bottled a Festa Brew Stout. Was very diligent at leaving it alone while it fermented, nothing went near it until 3 weeks to the day. Opened it to take a sample and there was a weird crust on it, tasted sicky sweet to me. I did what I'd been told and didn't worry about it. Bottled it and have let it carb up. Tried one on the weekend and it seemed worse.

Digging around on here a little more for infection probables I came across a Brett infection, and the pics I see on here are the same as I saw in the fermenter.

What should I do with my gear? Bleach bomb or start over? I'm leaning towards going all glass, just frustrated that I have 2 brand new buckets, one used as primary and one as a bottling bucket that came in contact with the sketchy beer, as well as a once used auto-syphon and bottle filler. Not the most expensive kit in the world, but a pain to drop another 40-50 bucks to start over so soon.

Side note, I have 23 L of cider in a glass carboy, but using the same bung overflow tube I used for my stout. Gonna ruin my cider?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sounds more like a stuck fermentation than Brett getting in there. If it were Brett, I would suspect it to be maybe slightly tart or a bit vinegar like and not sticky sweet. What was the final gravity?

Finished at 1.020, as expected. The sicky sweet I was tasting is close to take out sweet and sour chicken, so maybe a little vinegary as well.

Disappointed, but not beaten yet. Just want to know if I should replace my gear.

What a bummer, that's a good stout, when it works. Assuming you're sure it's an infection ... I wouldn't dump the buckets, unless you've got some deep scratches in them or something, just give them a really good clean. Maybe replace the auto-siphon and wand, if your wallet can handle it, just because there's more nooks and crannies in those items for things to linger in.

Hey Johnny, after waiting another week or so the flavour I didn't like was a lot less pronounced, so maybe I was jumping the gun. One a week until I like it, then the rest all at once? Don't know how many of these I could put back, but I've been known to drink 22 cans of Guiness in a sitting. 40 bottles might be a few too many though. (Full disclosure, I was a groomsman in a wedding the next day, and barely made the wedding)

I am also a fan of the Guinness but I don't think I could put down 22 in any one sitting. That stout will definitely get better with time, if you can keep yourself away from them :)

....22 in one sitting. Im glad your still alive :) I dont like guinness here but I went to the brewery in dublin and it was completely different. 100 times better than what we have

Back