Bready Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmelione

Reaction score
This is a pretty open ended question.

My girlfriend loves bread/biscuity tasting beers and I am trying to design a beer for her but I have no idea where to start. She doesn't like dark beers, doesn't like anything too bitter, doenst like the overly sweet/caramel tasting. I was thinking a modified pale ale with minimal hop additions. Of course I want to design something for her but I also want it to be a good beer.

Any help would be appreciated!

British pale ale (or ESB), lightly hopped, using some biscuit malt.

Maybe look for a Fuller's ESB clone recipe.

I'd just go for exactly what you're describing. Pick Maris Otter, Vienna, Munich, or a mixture of the three as a base malt, maybe add a pinch of Biscuit, Victory, Aromatic, Melanoidin, etc. mash at 152 with a clean and fair attenuating yeast. Hop lightly with a single small 60 minute addition or late additions of a British and/or noble hop, measured to around 20-30 IBUs. Don't worry about style.

You could probably just pick up a Fat Tire clone kit too if you were so inclined, because it's pretty close to what you're describing.

Thanks so much everyone! this is all super helpful. Ill report back with how it turns out.

I was aiming for basically the exact same thing in a recent brew per my wife's request, but didn't really end up where I wanted. I used:

68% Vienna
16% Munich (10L)
6.5% Crystal 60
6.5% Victory
3.2% Carapils

I bittered with Cascade at FWH, did another Cascade addition at 15 minutes, then Williamette at 5, for a total of about 22 IBUs.

FWIW my wife likes it, but it tastes to me like there's too much going on. I'll try it again at some point, and eliminate the Crystal 60 for sure, but I'm not sure if I should make other changes.

I'll be very curious to hear how yours turns out, so please do report back!

For more toasty a little carabrown is a good stuff, like biscuit malt but stronger or brown malt but not bitter at all.

Back