Brass Nipple Size For Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delvec28

Reaction score
I bought a 48 quart Coleman cooler with a drain plug for use as a mash tun. I've been to Home Depot/Lowes/Ace probably 7x so far and I'm still having issues with parts.

First off, I originally bought a 3/8" brass nipple, ball valve and male/female barbs to use with another cooler, but found that this was a bit too small for the Coleman, so I upgraded to 1/2".

However, I bought 3/4" SS washers from Lowe's and after I got home realized they were not large enough to fit over the 1/2" brass nipple. I'm trying to find my dad's Dremel since I don't have one (and as luck would have it, it's nowhere to be found) - I wanted to shave a bit of the inside diameter to fit over the brass nipple, however I'm wondering if it would be fine to use the 3/8" pieces since I have a better chance at finding a 5/8" SS washer at a nearby Fastenal (according to their website, my local store doesn't have 7/8" SS washers in stock for the 1/2" brass nipple).

As you can tell, I'm getting frustrated getting all of these parts, and somewhat angry that such large stores seem to have every size that I don't need and none that I can actually use!!

If anyone has experience using 3/8" equipment with a hole that can fit a 1/2" brass nipple --- or if someone from the South Jersey area has a few 7/8" SS washers, please let me know! :mug:

Can you use an aluminum washer? I couldn't find any ss washers so I used aluminum ones as spacers on my 1/2" fittings. I got them at my local Honda dealer, they were drain plug washers of some sort, I think for a differential. They were cheap ( under $1)and they had plenty of them

If you haven't invested too much money into it at this point, check out Bargain Fittings.
index.php
and I've only heard good things about them.

Before my last batch I did a lot of system upgrades and it seemed when I went to Home Depot I should have gone to Menards and vice versa. You would think they would have similar products but nooooooo.

Back