brass in your keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
i've read a bunch about using brass in your MLT and pickling the brass, small lead amounts in the mash, blah,blah BUT i haven't read much about using brass in a keggle.

i'm building a keggle, and plan on using a bazooka t on the inside of it for straining the wort, and i already have a brass nipple, brass hose barb, and brass ball valve laying around. is it okay to use brass in the keggle for draining the wort into the fermenter?

and i don't mean is it ok for all the lead haters, i mean will the boiling temperatures do anything different than the 170* mash temperatures? i'm fine with using brass in my MLT and always have, but i didn't know if using brass in a boiling wort filled keggle offered any different issues.

thanks,
brian

its debated whether pickling brass is really that necessary.
if it concerns you, pickle it per instructions on the net (palmer's online book has a section on it) and it'll be good to go.

A bazooka t will cause you no problem. If you ask Pro Brewers many will tell you they put a piece of cooper in the bottom of their kettle. It does no harm.

Terry

I think one possible problem is having several different types of metals in there reacting with each other. I think Palmer also talks about this. I cannot remember at the moment. I will try and find it later...

yer right, Palmer's book does mention a few metals that will...damn what's the word...well, they'll sort of act like a battery due to the acidic nature of the wort, and I think that can cause corrosion and wild off flavors.

but i'm also pretty sure that they were metals you wouldn't normally want to use...meaning SS, aluminum, copper and brass play nice with each other.

Back