Brands that use clear pry top bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrunkdutchman

Reaction score
I know that normally everyone wants the amber bottles for their beer. But I'd like to use clear bottles for my homemade meads, ciders, and wines. The handful of places that I found online that sell them charge enough for shipping that ordering online doesn't seem practical. So, I was hoping that we could make a list of the companies that use clear pry off bottles? I guess that I'll start.

•Modelos
•Corona

Aldi has a Mexican beer, Cerveza Monterrey, sold in clear bottles. Bottles are closer to the traditional beer bottle shape. Shown below is one of those bottles on the left next to a Corona bottle on the right.

One thing you’re likely aware of is that Corona bottles the shoulder is a lot higher than on regular beer bottles. I don’t bottle a lot since I keg but it seems the Corona bottles don’t get a good crimp with the high shoulder and my handheld wing crimper. In fact one of the previous Corona bottles tipped over in our RV fridge just today, the cap hit an edge, and it started leaking.

The Monterrey bottles have a slightly lower shoulder but still higher than a traditional pry top bottle. If memory serves they seem to crimp a little better with the handheld crimper.

I want to get a benchtop crimper to avoid the issue of some bottles not having a proper shoulder for a handheld crimper.

Attachments

• F591DD2C-3BB5-4A72-A50D-5C0A20D09F1C.jpeg
    F591DD2C-3BB5-4A72-A50D-5C0A20D09F1C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Some of my favorite bottles are my Samuel Smith clear bottles. They are as tall as old-time returnable bottles. Likewise, they are nice and heavy. Since they show off their contents, they are the majority if not all of the nine bottles that I actually label in each batch. These are from batches 180, 181, & 182 this summer.
labels.png

As a bonus, Samuel Smith makes great ales.

Last edited:
Back