Brand Spankin New

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been lurking this site for a little bit now. I plan on running rather crude setups however my goal is to make high ABV homebrew without distillation. Of course, I would like it to taste half way decent and be reasonably quick to prepare.

I have very little experience however I have been reading a significant amount online. I feel though that experience is the best way to learn so guys point me in the direction possible! thanks!

High ABV and quick do not go together.

Usually high gravity beers take some time to to mellow out. They also need plenty of healthy yeast, good aeration, and temperature control during fermentation.

I would suggest you do a few average ABV beers to get you process down and then if you want to try some bigger beers you should be able to pull it off.

halfway decent is a huge overstatement for a high octane beer that is done fast. What's your end goal? why high ABV? Brewing is a process that takes time. If you want quick then it's faster to buy big beers.

not that i didn't want a big beer early on myself, but I gotta chuckle when a new brewer just wants a big beer right off the bat.....

OP - do yourself a favor and listen to beergolf. Making beer is somewhat more difficult than cooking spaghetti.

My personal experience: I've been brewing for over 4 years, now. Last year, I brewed a big beer, around 10%. It turned out awful. It was hot, jet fuel flavored beer. I have about 40 brews under my belt. My method and procedures are pretty good. But all it takes is a small mistake, a miscalculation, any mistake really, to produce a really 5hitty high abv beer. We all want big beers that are done fast, but that is not the best way to learn. If you want something palatable and decent, that's definitely obtainable. Please don't take our advice as the "do as I say and not as I do," mantra, but we've all been there and made the mistakes. Let this advice resonate. Good luck with your brew.

I agree with the others that "high abv and fast" is not the best approach to beginner beer brewing. It's more likely to turn you into an alcoholic than make you a good brewer.
I only know one guy who brews high & fast and I must tell you that I've drank perfume that tasted better than his brew. In theory, turbo yeast + water + sugar will get you a high abv hooch in no time but it's gonna taste worse than cat piss.

If, however, you just need an easy brew that is capable of getting you under the table in no time, you can't go wrong with Apfelwein. That's not only the tastiest cider I've ever tried, but it's also quite strong (8%) and goes down really well. Make sure buy good champagne yeast - you can reuse them, so they are worth the extra money.

Just make sure to join the AA when drinking starts spinning out of control ;)

I too was going to recommend apfelwein. Since the #1 priority here is to make something that will get him drunk on the cheap...that's it. Unfortunately, when I read that someone new wants high alcohol, cheap,mans with a crude setup, I can't help but to believe the poster is young and basically isn't in it for the craft at all. If that's the case then fine. If not then I apologize in advance. Just browse the recipes here, increase the grain bill to fit the targeted ABV, and don't stand near an open flame when you're drinking.

You guys are hitting the nail on the head. I am a chemistry guy so I am interested in the intricacies however, yeah I'm just looking to get hammered.

Back