Brand new shiny CO2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I have been thinking about the new tanks that come with kits. Aren't most gas suppliers swap only on Co2? I don't think i've ever seen a tank get filled. Doesn't that mean that before you even get to use it. you're shiny tank is riding away on a truck?

Most are exchange. You may be able to find a place that will just fill, but more often than not, they are more expensive.

Just have to look around to see if any place will just fill.

My place, a welding supply operation, fills them while you wait. I still have my original tanks.

Me too, although my "local" place is 50 miles away. They just raised their price- I paid almost $7 this time for a 5# refill. It was $5 last time.

They always check to make sure my hydro test is up to date. The tank is about a year old, though, so I have a while.

Me too, although my "local" place is 50 miles away. They just raised their price- I paid almost $7 this time for a 5# refill. It was $5 last time.

They always check to make sure my hydro test is up to date. The tank is about a year old, though, so I have a while.

It's about $10 for a 5# refill here---but the place is 3 doors down from my office, so you can't beat that.

The place I take mine to, Koetter Fire in Dallas, fills a 20# cylinder while you watch for $17.95.

If you don't like the idea of bottle exchange, just call the companies in your area that deal with CO2. Fire extinguisher servicing companies and companies that sell dry ice are good bets. Many people have found welding supply stores that will refill, but I didn't have any luck in my area; they all wanted to exchange.

$10 for a 5#, $14 for a 20#. Good news is when my hydro test expires, just ask for a swap and then don't care. Getting them filled is an issue sometimes, since they are typically filling a large tank, or are doing another gas and don't want to purge the lines for a puny 5#-20# tank (a plus for having more then one tank, plus my beer stays pressurized).

I've gotten mine filled twice so far $7 and $9. I had to call around and find some places. I spent 15 minutes with superpages.com, and found several places in Lancaster that do fills.

I didn't want to do a swap because I have one of the new shiny tanks.

Wow... I get my 5#er filled at a fire extinguisher place, but it's $16-17 each time... you guys are lucky

I'm down to four steel 20# bottles, last refill cost me $17.50 to fill 6 months ago at my welding supply store. Less than two miles away comes in handy. I was given $100 for the 5th 20# bottle I got free out of a remodel job sites dumpster. Four 20# bottles should be enough for home use drinking.

The only HBS in the area charges $17 for a 5 lb tank exchange. I'd have held off and gone to the welding supply place I bought the tank at in the first place, but I'll be busy all week, and I'm supplying beer for my work's holiday party on Saturday. Not sure how much the welding supply place charges, but having a backup tank, or a bigger tank to fill the little one from, really seems like a good idea now.

Look for soda distributors..

The local Royal Crown Cola guy here refills my 20 pound tank for 20 bucks... its a "knock on the back door" kinda deal, but it works.

I also found out that RC still uses pre-mix corny kegs for soda... now If I could convince them to sell me some cheap.... they even commented that they are getting hard to find.

When I took my nice pretty new shiny CO2 tank to get filled for the first time....The gas company wanted me to do a swap....I said no way...I think they charged me an extra 5 bucks but they tagged my tank and I got it back like a week later... The wait really sucked..but I had seen my buddies keggerator with the swapped out tank inside (rusting away and staining his keggerator!!) and I wasn't going that way no how no way. I have since found a place that is a little farther from the homestead that'll fill while you wait.....

Back