BPA in my wort, pre-boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pint33

Reaction score
I've been using clear plastic pitchers to drain and recirculate my mash for years. I open the mashtun spigot, pour wort into my pitcher and pour it back on to my mash, manually and continually for about 20 cycles. Been doing this for 6 years with the same pitcher. I use a rubbermaid cooler to mash.

My wife sees me doing this the other day and says, "Wow you really shouldn't be using that pitcher because it is loaded with BPA."

Great. Paranoia achieved.

The clear hard plastic pitcher does not have any numbers on the bottom. I have no idea where it was purchased.

Let's say the pitcher has BPA in it. If I'm leaching BPA into my wort preboil, when I boil it does the boil neutralize or somehow destroy the BPA?

Or am I really leaching BPA into my wort? I mean, the mash temp is pretty warm...

I've been using clear plastic pitchers to drain and recirculate my mash for years. I open the mashtun spigot, pour wort into my pitcher and pour it back on to my mash, manually and continually for about 20 cycles. Been doing this for 6 years with the same pitcher. I use a rubbermaid cooler to mash.

My wife sees me doing this the other day and says, "Wow you really shouldn't be using that pitcher because it is loaded with BPA."

Great. Paranoia achieved.

The clear hard plastic pitcher does not have any numbers on the bottom. I have no idea where it was purchased.

Let's say the pitcher has BPA in it. If I'm leaching BPA into my wort preboil, when I boil it does the boil neutralize or somehow destroy the BPA?

Or am I really leaching BPA into my wort? I mean, the mash temp is pretty warm...

How's the beer taste? I'd just switch to a BPA free/glass pitcher, and not sweat it. I don't think I've known anyone who's died of BPA poisoning...

The beer always tastes fine. I'm definitely switching to glass pitchers. Maybe even a stainless mashtun when I can afford it. I seem to be questioning everything lately.

I remember the days of microwaving hot cocoa in old nalgene bottles. those days are long over! I share your paranoia. I make sure all my plastic is BPA free.

if you didn't have anything to worry about what would you think about all day? . . . . . .. . .oh yeah, beer.

inb4 "boobs"

think your wife is screwing with you, lol. if you have used it for 6 years with no ill effects, bet it is fine.

think your wife is screwing with you, lol. if you have used it for 6 years with no ill effects, bet it is fine.

Who the heck knows. I'm tired of researching the BPA debate.

I still have this theory that the BPA is somehow destroyed in the boil. But maybe I'm kidding myself.

Who the heck knows. I'm tired of researching the BPA debate.

I still have this theory that the BPA is somehow destroyed in the boil. But maybe I'm kidding myself.

Maybe. Or, maybe it's concentrated in the boil. :D

Nothing you can do about it now. You'll use glass or stainless from now on if it worries you.

After having corrosion issues for some reason with an aluminum pitcher I had (even replaced it and the new one had the same problem) I got one of these. It's clear plastic but evidently certified for use in commercial kitchens for liquids up to 212 degrees. I'm sure in a few years we'll be reading about whatever BPA was replaced with being toxic, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
After having corrosion issues for some reason with an aluminum pitcher I had (even replaced it and the new one had the same problem) I got one of these. It's clear plastic but evidently certified for use in commercial kitchens for liquids up to 212 degrees. I'm sure in a few years we'll be reading about whatever BPA was replaced with being toxic, though.
Thanks. My pitcher might not even have any BPA in it. And yes I'm finding that even the BPA-free products are now being reported as toxic. So disheartening.

I have the 8 and 12 cup version of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VZJCI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I use them to vourlauf and if my mash temp is low, i drain some wort into it, put it on the stove for a few minutes and pour back in the mash tun. The measurements in the 8 cup seem fairly inaccurate, but I don't really use them to measure.

Also, don't use a standard glass pitcher, make sure it's temperature safe or you'll be picking up shattered glass on brew day.

Back