Boycott stores on Thanksgiving day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or fast food, or be a certified nursing assistant, or work for the town, or do construction or landscaping, etc, etc, etc....

So I'm a single parent with barely a Highschool education, living below the poverty line. The only job I could get on my busline (because I don't have a car) is at the local Mega-wally-k-mart....it's not much but it keeps me off of food stamps. BUT I can barely make child care costs as it is. So NOW I am forced to work on T-giving.....I don't know who's going to watch my kids on that day since it's a holiday and the cheap day care I can afford won't be open. So my choice it to what, quit today and suddenly be trained as an CRNA, Fast Food worker, Landscaper in a week, so I don't have to work it, or have a break in pay, and maybe health care for me and my family?

These are the folks who I counsel at my church in Detroit (where FYI, I don't get paid regularly for my work because we're in the inner city, so I work a day job at a Medical School to have an income/benefits.)

I don't get what you're saying with your analogy. If they're already working in retail what would you have them do next week?

I've never shopped at 4am on Black Friday in the past.

When the trend of opening at Midnight on Thanksgiving started I decided to see what it was about.

Around 11pm I stood in line for an hour while it was cold and rainy. Didn't buy any of the big ticket items. I couldn't have even if I wanted. It was so packed around the home electronics that I didn't even venture to that part of the store.

I'll never do it again though. Wasn't worth the effort, the crowds, etc. Once was enough just to see what it was like.

I liked this post! But it's not uncalled for. There are many Christians who are totally offended by Revvy's avatar, not to mention previous ones.

So were you offended by the movie Dogma, where I took it from? Methinks you just hate me......Oh well. No one else has been offended by it, at least hasn't said anything to me. And I don't really care what you think. :rolleyes:

I like George Carlin.*shrug* You don't like it. Block me...then we'll both be at peace.

I learned a long time ago that the role of a minister is to comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable, and most of all....to get folks to think.

I believe and teach that if something pushes our buttons, the fault is not with the person who supposedly pushes us, but something in ourselves that allow us to be upset. If you're upset at me, I'm really just a mirror and the issue is inside of you. You might not like it. But that's life......I'm me, you're you, deal with it or not.....But I haven't done anything wrong, other than just being me (Maybe that's the problem, you don't allow yourself to be "you," worts, flaws and all. I do, and share/point out my flaws all the time, both on the pulpit, in life and on here. It's called "freedom.") And whether you approve or not...I don't define myself based on yours, or anyone for that matter's approval. I learned that lesson 17 years ago when I put the barrel of a gun in my mouth and came close to pulling the trigger, because I felt that "people didn't like me." I didn't and decided to start living for myself, being the best me I could possibly be, no matter what anyone else thought how I should be....And just MAYBE I could help a few folks along the way. You don't like how I do it, plenty of folks do.....*shrug*

So much anger in a thread about thanksgiving. It's upsetting. This will happen every year, and arguing and such in this thread doesn't change a thing. ...Relax, don't worry.....

Kinda funny though.

Unfortunately, some folks (including myself) provide services to the public (i.e. RN), which sometimes includes holidays. Not complaining, we just "know what we signed up for". Not like I want to work holidays, but I guess I will be there when dumb fvckers put a frozen turkey in the deep fryer, or have a heart attack at the table, or get too drunk and crack their head open on the icy front steps of their home (all of which I have seen). Maybe you folks should be supportive of the people that are working those days to provide services that other consumers require, including retail and other goods/services that you want/ need. Take a turkey to your local E.R., buy coffee and donuts for your places of business, etc. Unfortunately folks have to work on holidays, but boycotting does not solve the problem. Unless you can persuade folks (more than voted in the last election) to boycott businesses, support the folks that have to work...

I'm in the military and this year is the first in four that I'm going to be home on Thanksgiving. Of course, by 'home' I mean not 500 ft underwater or being stuck on duty on a submarine. I would never ask someone to give up the time they should be spending with their family to show me any special favor.

They work retail hazard of the job they are in that line of work. I work with chemicals that can kill me on a daily basis hazard of my job. But between no paycheck and paycheck I think 100% choose the check.
They chose to work there. If they don't like it quit.

As it is holidays are an arbitrary day. You can gather your family together to enjoy each others company any day they feel like. Already had my thanksgiving and Christmas will most likely be the same.

Who said anything about boycotting Thanksgiving????

This is about Retailers (YES) FORCING their employees to work on Thanksgiving day so that they can beat the other retailers to the punch!

]Who said anything about boycotting Thanksgiving????"DO NOT SHOP ON THANKSGIVING DAY! That's a quot from your previous post. Maybe you are confused, but that's the definition of boycotting.

So I'm a single parent with barely a Highschool education, living below the poverty line. The only job I could get on my busline (because I don't have a car) is at the local Mega-wally-k-mart....it's not much but it keeps me off of food stamps. BUT I can barely make child care costs as it is. So NOW I am forced to work on T-giving.....I don't know who's going to watch my kids on that day since it's a holiday and the cheap day care I can afford won't be open. So my choice it to what, quit today and suddenly be trained as an CRNA, Fast Food worker, Landscaper in a week, so I don't have to work it, or have a break in pay, and maybe health care for me and my family?

These are the folks who I counsel at my church in Detroit (where I don't get paid regularly for my work because we're in the inner city, so I work a day job at a Medical School to have an income/benefits.)

I don't get what you're saying with your analogy. If they're already working in retail what would you have them do next week?

My point is that you live in the US and have a choice of jobs. My mother put herself through school with a teenage daughter and myself (a young child) to become an RN while dealing with a deadbeat, alcoholic husband. People give up too easily and then ***** and moan ( I work with plenty of people like this) when they have to work a **** job, like retail (that I worked for years in). If you don't like your job then either butt-up and shut up or find a new job. Excuses have never made anyone have a better life.

My daughter wants to work. She really likes her job and is excited to work there. I do not make this up, really. I have no problem with it, either. If she didn't want to do it, I'd support her quitting and finding something else. No emotion necessary here.
o

It is great that your daughter really likes her job and I don't have any problem with that. But, there are a lot of people who work in retail because there are not a lot of options out there. My state has the second largest unemployment rate. There are very few jobs available outside of retail and service.

Having retail chains open on Thanksgiving day for these Black Friday sales is a very new phenomenon. And it is not something that most employees have any choice about. If it were something where the employees could choose to work or to stay with their families I would be all for it, but it is not.

So were you offended by the movie Dogma, where I took it from? Methinks you just hate me......Oh well. No one else has been offended by it, at least hasn't said anything to me.:rolleyes:

I like George Carlin.*shrug*

I learned a long time ago that the role of a minister is to comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable, and most of all....to get folks to think.

If you minister, it is not for Christ, but yourself..

The revenue will be the same because all stores get limited quantities of hot items. People never understand that. All the good **** will be gone in an hour.

You'd be surprised, like stated earlier, we didn't open at the same time as other retailers. A majority of our products didn't sell, to the point of we have 30 door buster snowblowers, and only 3 of them sold. After black friday the company couldnt sell a majority of those items. We either had to send them back or clearance them out as they took up a majority of the warehouse space.

My point is that you live in the US and have a choice of jobs. My mother put herself through school with a teenage daughter and myself (a young child) to become an RN while dealing with a deadbeat, alcoholic husband. People give up too easily and then ***** and moan ( I work with plenty of people like this) when they have to work a **** job, like retail (that I worked for years in). If you don't like your job then either butt-up and shut up or find a new job. Excuses have never made anyone have a better life.

You and I are obviously blessed to have a "choice" of jobs. But not everyone. Some folks have to take the lot that's given them......Especially nowadays.

If you minister, it is not for Christ,but, yourself..

yeah, I hope that hate keeps you warm......You must have missed the last post where I mentioned that in my current church, IN DETROIT, I barely get paid. I only get paid when I preach which is once every month or so (I'm only the ASSOCIATE Minister, the senior minister is lucky if he takes 100 bucks a week out of the collection, he's living on savings and social security right now and trying to make a go of an inner city church, with my help.) The rest of the time I put in, which is every Sunday, in some capacity, making coffee, or setting up the sound system or something like that, and being available during the week, and weekends to counsel, make hospital visitation, etc. I do for NOTHING. On top of working a 40 hour a week job so I can pay my OWN bills, eat, etc.

Yep...I serve myself alright.I work 40 hours + a week for pay, plus get up at 6 am on Sundays, AND sometimes spend my only day off which is Saturday in a hospital room with one of my congregants and their families if someone is sick. Yup, I'm really a selfish, self agrandizing satanist bastard alright, because I MIGHT just want to come on here and let my hair down, and be a little "irreverent" and talk about beer, and sex (which since I'm not Catholic I'm allowed to have with real women) and things like that...You know, be "HUMAN," a little bit. But I guess to you that's not "Appropriate" to such a perfect being as you, eh? :rolleyes:

Can't we all just get along

Screenshot_2012-11-14-20-32-31-1.jpg

o

It is great that your daughter really likes her job and I don't have any problem with that. But, there are a lot of people who work in retail because there are not a lot of options out there. My state has the second largest unemployment rate. There are very few jobs available outside of retail and service.

Having retail chains open on Thanksgiving day for these Black Friday sales is a very new phenomenon. And it is not something that most employees have any choice about. If it were something where the employees could choose to work or to stay with their families I would be all for it, but it is not.

I don't have a cold heart. I do see that there are adults out there, with kids, that must choose to work on the holiday or lose the job they need. I do truly feel sorry for them.

But this is the way of the world. As dark and difficult as their plight might seem to you, we have it good compared to times past and places distant. I just returned from China, where most of the country works ridiculous hours for laughable pay. There are 750 million of them.

You and I are obviously blessed to have a "choice" of jobs. But not everyone. Some folks have to take the lot that's given them......Especially nowadays.

We will agree to disagree. I guess what it really depends on is where you live!

I also would like to point out to everyone who says they work other jobs on Black Friday and Thanksgiving and such.. yes, good for you. So you're an RN, You get to see a bunch of morons with 3rd degree burns from turkey fryers, people who carved their hand and not the turkey, etc.. Are you getting bum rushed, pushed, swore at, shoved out of the way, had objects thrown at you, or any other form of belittlement? Consumers are down right A$$HOLES on thanksgiving/black friday. THAT is the worst part of black friday to me. I just want to track down the place of employment of some of the belligerent people and act a fool in their work place and see how they like it.

But this is the way of the world. As dark and difficult as their plight might seem to you, we have it good compared to times past and places distant. I just returned from China, where most of the country works ridiculous hours for laughable pay. There are 750 million of them.

True. This IS really a first world problem. Except here in Detroit, where it is like the third world for a lot of people.

I also would like to point out to everyone who says they work other jobs on Black Friday and Thanksgiving and such.. yes, good for you. So you're an RN, You get to see a bunch of morons with 3rd degree burns from turkey fryers, people who carved their hand and not the turkey, etc.. Are you getting bum rushed, pushed, swore at, shoved out of the way, had objects thrown at you, or any other form of belittlement? Consumers are down right A$$HOLES on thanksgiving/black friday. THAT is the worst part of black friday to me. I just want to track down the place of employment of some of the belligerent people and act a fool in their work place and see how they like it.

But I used to love getting yelled at because we didn't get 30+ Sony HDTV's when I worked at Target...now I'm an RN and I get yelled at daily! Retail does suck and I am thankful to not have to do that anymore.

I liked this post! But it's not uncalled for. There are many Christians who are totally offended by Revvy's avatar, not to mention previous ones.

Still it is off topic and abusive and KEEP IT OUT OF MY THREAD.

I could also say I am offended by your avatar. I'm not but I could!

steber said:

Yeah, I did my time in Retail prior to my career choice. Nothing like working for a giant retail sports store and loading pool tables/hockey tables, selling guns, etc. on T-Day. I did not care for it either, and made considerably less money. People are ********, including patients in the hospital, who can be much worse than the normal consumer. Its all retail, hospitals make money like any other business, and they are good at it, regardless of who has to work on holidays.

But I used to love getting yelled at because we didn't get 30+ Sony HDTV's when I worked at Target...now I'm an RN and I get yelled at daily! Retail does suck and I am thankful to not have to do that anymore.

Not going to lie, when I was in a selling department it was my guilty pleasure to tell people who stayed in line for hours that we no longer have any left. :rockin:

I love watch people act immature, doesn't make it right for them to act that way. Yet it sure is intriguing to wonder what causes people to act like that over such meager things. I guess thats why married an anthropologist..

Yeah But I have a hellalotta respect for you. I'm in the midst of a health crises with my 88 year old mom who fell 2 weeks ago. Broke her hip and now is in a rehab place....and might have to go into assisted living when she gets out. You're a godsend. I watch the nurses and others with her (she also might have sundwoner's syndrome and has evidently gotten abusive with some folks I guess) and the patience they have with the patients is amazing.

:mug:

]Who said anything about boycotting Thanksgiving????"DO NOT SHOP ON THANKSGIVING DAY! That's a quot from your previous post. Maybe you are confused, but that's the definition of boycotting.

This may be the stupidest thing I have ever read! AGAIN who said anything about boycotting Thanksgiving.

I said boycott SHOPPING on thanksgiving day.

I AM NOT CONFUSED! It seems that you ARE!

Still it is off topic and abusive and KEEP IT OUT OF MY THREAD.

I could also say I am offended by your avatar. I'm not but I could!

Yeah, but you opened the topic of THANKSGIVING boycott. Thanks to who? to Christ? My relies are pertinent to the topic of the holiday. Sorry my views offend your personal view.

This is not about retail as a career. It is about one half of one day where it is totally classless to open the stores!

And as I said, in my state it in not so much of a choice as the likely option to being unemployed!

I don't have a cold heart. I do see that there are adults out there, with kids, that must choose to work on the holiday or lose the job they need. I do truly feel sorry for them.

This has very little to do with American companies chasing the almighty dollar at the expense of their employees that would rather not work on Thanksgiving day!

Revvy said:
... the patience they have with the patients is amazing.

:mug:

HA! Patience with patients. Awesome.

I wish it were well conveyed that essential services (fire, health-related, police, hospice care) are extremely appreciated.

On topic, I don't think retail should be open on memorial and veterens day to show a little respect to the troops. Thanksgiving and Christmas are no brainers. Be lazy, RDWDAHB, watch football.

HA! Patience with patients. Awesome.

I wish it were well conveyed that essential services (fire, health-related, police, hospice care) are extremely appreciated.

On topic, I don't think retail should be open on memorial and veterens day to show a little respect to the troops. Thanksgiving and Christmas are no brainers. Be lazy, RDWDAHB, watch football.

Yeah I'm proud of that little turn of phrase. Of course Sudbuster will be offended that I showed PRIDE there I'm sure. ;)

I agree whole heartedly with the idea of no sales on Memorial Day and Vets day as well.

You know what we need? I don't know what we'd call it. But there's really NO holiday for "essential service providers" is there? I mean we even have secretary's day...But is thee a "First Responders Day?" You'd think sept 11 would be a good day to honor it...But that would take away from the other part of that day.....

I did 4 years of mall security (because my choice of post college jobs was nonexistant). Thanksgiving always sucked, as the retail world keeps edging openings earlier and earlier. But, it's money.

I say, boycott pilgrims. If it wasn't for those turkey eating *****ers, we wouldn't be worrying about this.

This has very little to do with American companies chasing the almighty dollar at the expense of their employees that would rather not work on Thanksgiving day!

What if you're a person of another religion that does not celebrate thanksgiving? And now you're being penalized a day's pay for something you don't believe in?

Now there's an idea. Give them all the day off.

"This is our life with you in it...

<insert graphic of number of deaths on a normal day>

This is our life without you...

<insert graphic of number of deaths on First Responders day>

Any questions?"

All this boycotting talk has got me thinking about how I can show a little appreciation. Not really willing to go out (especially since I'll be camping in a national forest) but it seems like a good idea.

Don't want to work retail on Black Friday or whatever other stupid name they have for those shopping days?

Here's an idea!

Don't work retail. There's dozens of other low pay, no qualification work you can take like car wash opperator, gas station attendant, or fast food line cook. High school girls are constantly quitting McDonald's, you could waltz right in there and get a job with your resume.

Don't want to work retail on Black Friday or whatever other stupid name they have for those shopping days?

Here's an idea!

Don't work retail. There's dozens of other low pay, no qualification work you can take like car wash opperator, gas station attendant, or fast food line cook. High school girls are constantly quitting McDonald's, you could waltz right in there and get a job with your resume.

Yeah, in the Nav we called it "choose your rate, choose your fate". I work a lot of holidays. I work in a power plant so it's not like we can just "shut 'er down" and all go home. Everybody has to have their tv. But it comes with the job. There are plenty of people who LOVE working retail. There are plenty who don't. In my opinion, if you love your job, you are in the very lucky minority. If you hate your job, it is your responsibility to do something about it. I did. And by the way, I don't have a college education, so don't tell me its not possible. It's not easy, I'll give you that, but it can be done.

With that said, I refuse to go shopping in a physical store on the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving. I typically wait at least a week if I need anything I don't buy online. I refuse to contribute to the frenzy that leads to fistfights and people getting trampled.

And to finish, can someone please explain to me the association between thanksgiving and Christianity? Aside from the pilgrims being Christians, I didn't think it was considered a religious holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back