Boycott LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rorypayne

Reaction score
Yesterday I traveled to raleigh, nc to American brewmaster to purchase my products for my first sour. I had my recipe planned so as I was getting things together and not really paying attention to my surroundings, but my wife went with me (first time). There was also a very sweet old woman that I met prior to them opening that was looking to purchase a wine making kit for her husband for Christmas. The man that assisted her was extremely arrogant, unhelpful and down right rude! I didn't realize this going on, good thing as I would have punched him for acting the way he did to an elderly woman, who had no idea what she needed or what she wanted. Just that she wanted to get her husband a nice gift for the holiday. I finished up with my purchase and we left. Upon driving away was when I was informed of what had happened my wife gave me the story and said we will not give our business to n e one that acts like that (the words a*****e and d******d were used.

I would like this community to help me by not spending their money there and make it very clear that it should not be tolerated. From what I have learned from being on this forum and my previous lhbs is that we are all about helping each other and assisting the new brewers or winemakers or n e one that wishes to know a little bit more about either. I wish she would have told me earlier as there is another brew store about 10miles away.

Thank You for your support!

That would not be my way of dealing with things, you should confront the shop, only when you have drawn a blank should such mass campaigning be thought about.

Wow, that's a drive! ;)

What a terrible experience! Some store clerks, managers, and even owners have just poor people skills, but being right-out rude to customers is totally uncalled for. Maybe you can help the cause by contacting the store's owner and pointing out the problem. I'm not sure a call for a "boycott" or a warning to "avoid at all cost" will get the deserved attention.

Jeez, when I'm shopping at the brew store I also try to help people and we don't stand alone in that. It's a beautiful hobby and sharing is a big part of it.

I know some folks might like Brewmasters Warehouse and maybe they were once a very good LHBS, but I've always had pretty bad service there, always out of things that are common place at every LHBS, laugh sarcastically when I ask for a certain hop "NO one has those hops" he says. The elitist attitude really threw me off.. Which if why I now exclusively shop at Just brew it in fayetteville. Doug is rarely out of anything and always super eager to help you with anything. Sorry for hijacking your thread..........

Thus my issue, I always try to help if I can. The way my wife explained the way the associate was acting was cause for this push, a little arrogance, ya I got it u work at the brew store and know everything about brewing but to a woman that was there to buy a Christmas gift... I figured if her business is so meaningless then so is everyone else's.

Yesterday I traveled to raleigh, nc to American brewmaster to purchase my products for my first sour. I had my recipe planned so as I was getting things together and not really paying attention to my surroundings, but my wife went with me (first time). There was also a very sweet old woman that I met prior to them opening that was looking to purchase a wine making kit for her husband for Christmas. The man that assisted her was extremely arrogant, unhelpful and down right rude! I didn't realize this going on, good thing as I would have punched him for acting the way he did to an elderly woman, who had no idea what she needed or what she wanted. Just that she wanted to get her husband a nice gift for the holiday. I finished up with my purchase and we left. Upon driving away was when I was informed of what had happened my wife gave me the story and said we will not give our business to n e one that acts like that (the words a*****e and d******d were used.

I would like this community to help me by not spending their money there and make it very clear that it should not be tolerated. From what I have learned from being on this forum and my previous lhbs is that we are all about helping each other and assisting the new brewers or winemakers or n e one that wishes to know a little bit more about either. I wish she would have told me earlier as there is another brew store about 10miles away.

Thank You for your support!

You're not the first and will not be the last to have a bad experience at this particular establishment. I've pretty much stopped going there except as a local drop off for CBOY entries, and seeing as how they lost a set of my entries last year, I'm considering shipping UPS instead. How do you lose a box of entries in a place the size of studio apartment?

I'd honestly recommend Atlantic Brew Supply in Raleigh. It's attached to a brewery so you can have a drink while you shop. The home brew supply area is huge, well lit, and clean. The staff has always been very friendly and very helpful, and the prices are competitive (if not better) than ABM. I've yet to have a bad experience there aside from their computer system and credit card machine going down to a system failure once.

Back