Bourbon Barrel Maintenance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwitty

Reaction score
I have a "new to me" bourbon barrel. It's 10 gallons and was drained 3/4 months ago. The distiller said he filled it with 2 liters of R.O. water to keep it sealed. I was wondering what if anything I need to do to prep a barrel in the situation? Do I sanitize with a potassium metabisulphite solution? Boiling water? A large bottle of whiskey/bourbon? All have been suggested, but does anyone know for sure?

A large bottle of whiskey/bourbon is what we do to keep it from drying out. Swish around very few days. When you pour it out to put beer in it is so much better tasting than when you put it in. We use Evan Williams handles.

A large bottle of whiskey/bourbon is what we do to keep it from drying out. Swish around very few days. When you pour it out to put beer in it is so much better tasting than when you put it in. We use Evan Williams handles.
I was told it didn't matter what brand as long as it was strong. Basically because it's just being used to keep the barrel clean. Also the quality of the bourbon/whisky wouldn't be noticeable in the finished beer because of the small traces. Any opinion?

100% agree.

We didn’t but the very cheapest because we planned on drinking it later. It was much improved though.

100% agree.

We didn’t but the very cheapest because we planned on drinking it later. It was much improved though.
Thanks! I have a 9% Russian imperial stout planned. Planning ahead for the long cold winter. Wish me luck!

That's what I've been doing for a few years. Once I've kegged the beer, I'll rinse the barrel a couple times with warm water then add the Evan Williams. I've ran about 7 batches through the barrel with no issues. The bourbon flavor has mellowed however. The last batch was more of a coconut flavor than bourbon, but still good.

Store with a handle of cheap whiskey. If you're concerned with leaking or sanitation, hitting it with 180°F water will knock down any nasties while swelling the wood again. Keep in mind, though, the more often you hit it with water and hotter the water, the more oak and whiskey flavor you'll lose over time.

Back