Bought New Burner - Not Hot Enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notixx

Reaction score
I recently purchased this burner from the local walmart. It look exactly like an SQ14 burner and it said that it was "Perfect for boiling" so i figured it would be great.

Sturdy and well crafted it seems but i'm worried it wont put out enough heat to boil 6 gallons. I cant find specs for the BTU output anywhere....

anyone used this thing??

Add a shroud around the pot. Made out of flashing.
Brew Ware: How to Find, Adapt & Build Homebrewing Equipment
By Karl F. Lutzen.
Shown in this book, thru amazon you can do a search inside the book, search on shroud.

put a pot of water on it and see...

havent had the chance to yet :p figured id check and see if anyone had used this burner first.

I have brewed 5 gallon batches on my stove top before with no issue (except it taking forever to boil), so i assumed that nearly any outdoor burner would work better (faster)

Yes, a propane outdoor burner will provide way more heat, boiling water much faster.
Having an adjustable regulator is a big plus I believe, and my SP10 makes more heat than I can use. The banjo style burner is supposed to be more efficient, and able to provide more heat using a different regulator.

Yes, a propane outdoor burner will provide way more heat, boiling water much faster.
Having an adjustable regulator is a big plus I believe, and my SP10 makes more heat than I can use. The banjo style burner is supposed to be more efficient, and able to provide more heat using a different regulator.

I think i should be alright then. This one has an adjustable regulator and at full blast is pretty loud and produces a nice blasting blue flame. Maybe i'll test it this week and plan a brew day cheers :mug:

As you become more familiar with your new burner, you will learn how to get the heat you need without wasting propane.

I recently purchased this burner from the local walmart. It look exactly like an SQ14 burner and it said that it was "Perfect for boiling" so i figured it would be great.

Sturdy and well crafted it seems but i'm worried it wont put out enough heat to boil 6 gallons. I cant find specs for the BTU output anywhere....

anyone used this thing??

Did you follow the directions exactly:

Step 1: With both valves off connect regulator to tank

Step 2: make sure both the tank valve and regulator valve are off

Step 3: turn on the tank valve first, wait a few seconds (I don't know if the wait is critical)

Step 4: turn on the regulator valve and light flame

If you don't do the above steps exactly in the above order you can trigger a gas valve flow restrictor. It's a safety mechanism built into newer tanks.

I like to turn off the main valve during steeping / mashing. I have to ensure I have the regulator valve off prior to re-opening the main tank valve.

fyi: I just found this solution a few days ago. I was struggling with a low flame about 1/3rd of the time. When it happened I would turn everything off and try again. If I was lucky I did it in the right order the second (or third) time.

Greg

There are also temperature switches on some burners that will cut off if they get too hot. This is so you don't ignite oil when using them as a fryer.

They will cut you off when you don't want them to. Most can be disabled.

I have a turkey fryer (disabled switch) and a Bayou Classic SP10. The SP10 is much hotter than the turkey fryer but both will boil 7 gallons.

all is good! that thing had 6 gallons boiling in less than 20 minutes! nice!

As far as the wait time between opening the Tank valve and the Burner Valve,
You are correct you should wait. the safety valve needs to see pressure on both sides. If not it shuts down thinking there is a free flow happening IE. burst hose.
My Mosquito Magnet had a tool to reset it manually, it's lost now and sometimes those valves can be tricky to reset. Wish I still had it.

notixx, just out of curiosity can you guess how many pounds of propane you used?
I did a 5 g full boil recently (8gallons), and I weighed my tank before and after. I used right at 3 pounds of propane, so I should get 6 batches per tank. I doubt I will, as I also use propane for my smoker and my gas grill; which is why I have two tanks, just in case I kill one, there is a "full" tank available anytime. There are few things worse than running out of propane and not knowing for 20 minutes or so. Spilling Charlie in shag carpet, that is worse...

notixx, just out of curiosity can you guess how many pounds of propane you used?
I did a 5 g full boil recently (8gallons), and I weighed my tank before and after. I used right at 3 pounds of propane, so I should get 6 batches per tank. I doubt I will, as I also use propane for my smoker and my gas grill; which is why I have two tanks, just in case I kill one, there is a "full" tank available anytime. There are few things worse than running out of propane and not knowing for 20 minutes or so. Spilling Charlie in shag carpet, that is worse...

I actually am curious to know.. i did not weigh it and i'm not sure. I'll check next brew day and report back!

There are also temperature switches on some burners that will cut off if they get too hot. This is so you don't ignite oil when using them as a fryer.

They will cut you off when you don't want them to. Most can be disabled.

I have a turkey fryer (disabled switch) and a Bayou Classic SP10. The SP10 is much hotter than the turkey fryer but both will boil 7 gallons.

How do you disable those damn automatic timers? They are a PITA!

The timers are actually really easy. Open the metal casing around it and join the two wires with something conductive. Bypasses the whole timer assembly.

Latest posts

Back