bought ingrediets to make cenntenial blonde and red ale but got the wrong base

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheephrdr

Reaction score
Hi any advise would be great, i haven't been able to brew because I'm in college and way to busy so I have planned a big brew day with my brother over the xmas holidays. Planning on making 10 gallons centennial blonde ale and 10 gallons of a red ale or porter. My problem is that i never noticed when i loaded the grain in my car that the base malt i requested (2 row) was gambrius (sp) esb pale malt. Has anyone used this malt to make a blonde ale like centennial blonde or should i scrap that idea completely. i have a bunch of hops and grains so i could make something different but just wanted to share with my brother the beauty of centennial blonde. any advise on similar easy drinking beer would be great ive got centennial, perle, cascade, bramling cross, saaz, tetnang, and willemete hops. and a pile of diff griains. thanks

ESB malt is similar to British pale malt, and will be more flavorful and a bit darker than the standard two row. The blonde will be a bit darker but it'll still be a blonde with a deeper gold color. The Red or Porter will be particularly good with it as opposed to standard 2 row, in my opinion.

Brew them and enjoy them!

I would never recommend using a cheapo generic 2-row for a malt forward beer such as a red or porter. The ESB will be great, as would a Maris Otter or other more flavorful malt. For the blonde ale, it will be 1 to 3 "L" darker than planned, which is almost irrelevant. It will have a slightly richer flavor and should be quite yummy. The ESB will pair up nicely with Saaz and Willamette.

Last edited:
Back