Bouchet advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caveman Pete

Reaction score
Howdy y'all,

I'm planning to start my first bochet soon, 3 gallon batch using the pressure cooker method to carmalize the mead (about 2/3 of it, I've seen various posts recommending using part caramelized, part regular honey). So my questions are:

1. I'm planning to use blood oranges, recommend adding sliced fruit or just juice and zest? And how much for a bochet?

2. What additional spices do y'all recommend to complement the flavors?

Thank you for your input.

I've had good results with blood oranges using just the juice and zest (avoid the white part of the peel - very bitter). For my money, few things go better with orange than a split vanilla bean tossed in there

I've had good results with blood oranges using just the juice and zest (avoid the white part of the peel - very bitter). For my money, few things go better with orange than a split vanilla bean tossed in there
For a 3 gallon batch would you reccomend just one bean or three?
Thx

Awesome thx. I guess one more question, I know usually it's about 1.5-2 pounds of fruit per gallon, but I'm unfamiliar with oranges, how much do y'all suggest? (My continuing mead making depends on wifey approval...lol)

Back