Bottom Drain Kettle - Tri-clover Position

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrywise

Reaction score
I'm in the process of switching from my keggle setup to Concord stainless kettles. I'd like to go bottom drain for these and was curious if anyone could see any reason why I wouldn't want to mount the bottom drains off center?

My thought was that having them off center would allow me to whirlpool better and still have a good cone in the middle and then drain off to the side of it.

I'm thinking a 2" tri clover on the bottom as I already have parts for that from bottom drain keg conversions.

Just looking for thoughts.

Thanks!

I'd think that even with a trub cone in the middle, once you open the valve it's going to suck it all in no matter where on the bottom it is placed. Open after settling to dump the trub then run off to the fermenter once it's cleared out.

Mine is off center as you can see from the picture. I have been able to successfully whirlpool and leave a trub/hop cone in my boil kettle. I do use a hop spider as primary containment. I have yet to find a reason that there is a disadvantage to having it off center vs centered.

View attachment 1417807494937.jpg

Mine is off center as you can see from the picture. I have been able to successfully whirlpool and leave a trub/hop cone in my boil kettle. I do use a hop spider as primary containment. I have yet to find a reason that there is a disadvantage to having it off center vs centered.

Awesome. That's what I was hoping to hear as I too plan to use a hop screen to cut back on a lot of trub but I'm a big fan of leaving as much in the kettle as possible.

Maybe I'm not thinking clearly but what is your additional port for that doesn't have anything hooked up on the inside right now?

The port in the top of the picture?
That is my sight glass port.
I have five total holes in my brew kettle
Sight Glass
Element
RTD Probe
Outlet
Whirlpool inlet.

The port in the top of the picture?
That is my sight glass port.
I have five total holes in my brew kettle
Sight Glass
Element
RTD Probe
Outlet
Whirlpool inlet.

Ahh sight glass.

I have my temp probe currently passing through my sight glass via a T and my brain wasn't computing the extra hole in your kettle.

I second the off center outlet; I had a 25 gallon concord kettle, and I'd whirlpool. After whirlpool I'd draw off and the run-off was trub free. FWIW I soldered in my fitting as close to the side as possible-- basically the very edge of flat bottom before the curve for the sidewalks begin.

Short version: do it!

Back