bottom discharge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evollsixes

Reaction score
Hi guys I have never brewed before but am very interested in getting started. I am a welder and build full size brewing systems, smallest we di is about 15 Gallons. So we use steam jackets and the same jackets for glycol. anyways I want to build a small system for myself but I want to do a bottom discharge. Will this affect my boiling with a direct fire system. If I have a 90 degree elbow right in the flame. sorry if this is a stupid question. I just noticed ever one uses syphon tubes.

Do you just mean you want to have a valve on the bottom of your kettle? That is completely fine and actually preferred for most people. IT won't really affect the boil but you just want to be sure to use valves that can handle the high temperature.

Well I would weld a one inch 90 degree elbow in the bottom center of the keg (which would be in the flame)then extend it outside the radius of the keg and put the valve there. So I think I'm ok then.

Well I would weld a one inch 90 degree elbow in the bottom center of the keg (which would be in the flame)then extend it outside the radius of the keg and put the valve there. So I think I'm ok then.

Hello evollsixes If you are talking about making a boil kettle with a 1 inch pipe running through the flame, I think that will be trouble. I believe you will scorch the wort in the pipe during boil. It will probably produce a burnt off flavor.

Please search on some images of common kettles and you can see what is used and figure out the why's. If you boil with leaf hops, your design might be different than someone who typically uses pellet hops. If you eventually plan to use pumps to move liquids around, you'll need to keep these sediments to a minimum.

Whoa, what is the point of having it directly on the bottom? If you have it on the side with a dip tube would will be able to get it all of the wort out, no problem.

Well mainly in my mlt. I don't want a dip tube through my false bottom. I will if I can't find another option . This picture is of a hop back with a sump type discharge. We use these on wine tanks normally. do you guys think this would work in a kettle?

WP_20150320_005.jpg

WP_20150320_007.jpg

Back