Bottling with roommates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspilker

Reaction score
I got my porter done recently, and my girlfriend who works at a restaurant started hanging onto bottles for me to use with my brewing (awesome!)

So I clean them well (soaking in solution for 2 days to remove nastiness as they weren't rinsed before being brought to me), sterilize them well and I place all my bottles on the counter and get my fermenter, bottling bucket ect all squared away, boil up my priming sugar ect. I hear a deep wind sound...

I look up to see my roommate picking up bottles (not just one) and blowing into them. He managed to use about 9 of my fresh sparkly clean bottles as whistles. Why in the world he used 9 I don't know..

So I had to remove them from my bottling line due to being tainted. I ended up have a bunch of extra if I counted those 9 bottles, but ended up being a bottle short for my batch... so it didn't turn out too badly.

This just shows me that I can't brew with my roommates...

Anyone else have any scary bottling stories with friends/loved ones not understanding the concept of remaining sanitary?

The problem that i found of bottling with friends is exactly that, they think your being anal about sanitation when your just being safe. My advice...

-have a bucket full of san solution(one friends job is to keep it full of bottles and empty them and hand them to the bottler YOU.
-Hand the full bottles to another friend, who holds the bottle sturdy on a table, while another(competent) friend caps and places the finished bottles in a case.

I found wedging some folded cardboard between your racking cane and the carboy mouth holds the cane above the yeast bed.

good luck! It is a huge help to have 2 or 3 friends around to help. Try and find fellow brewers to help.

Get into kegging, and watch him hyperventilate trying to get the keg to whistle. Just the sight of that is worth the cost of the kegs alone.

WTH? Why would he do that? Here is what you do:

Grab infected bottle by neck, with bottom pointed upwards.
Hit your buddy over the head hard enough to shatter the bottle.
Yell, "Don't do that!"
Problem solved.

Back