Bottling with floating hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greynolds16

Reaction score
I am new to Homebrewing and have a question about bottling. I have a doubly dry hopped ipa that is due to go into bottles today and it has quite a bit of hop material floating on the top. Can I siphon with this? Should I do a cold crash in the fridge to help it drop?

Attachments

• 25A20EB0-0C1B-4CA8-9B6F-D67B112BFF5E.jpeg
    25A20EB0-0C1B-4CA8-9B6F-D67B112BFF5E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
That doesn't look like the krausen has dropped yet....

How long has it been in the fermenter?
It’s been in for close to 4 weeks. Two weeks post brew day, one week of dry hopping, then another round of dry hopping three days ago.

Wow... Yeah, should be done by now... Have you checked the gravity?
Gravity measurements should be stable a few days apart...

If it's done, it's done...

You can definitely bottle by siphoning from underneath. just keep an eye on it and try not to get to much crap in the bottling bucket...

Wow... Yeah, should be done by now... Have you checked the gravity?
Gravity measurements should be stable a few days apart...

If it's done, it's done...

You can definitely bottle by siphoning from underneath. just keep an eye on it and try not to get to much crap in the bottling bucket...
Yeah.... got quite a bit of hops into my bottling bucket. Typically get 6 pints out of a gallon and I got 5. Oh well. It smells amazing at least, so there’s that. Hop bags from here on out.

I’ve had success wrapping a small piece of paint strainer bag around the tip of the auto siphon, held in place with a twist tie or rubber band wrapped around it (all sanitized first). Also put in a few glass beads to weight down the end of the piece of strainer bag. Works great to keep out hop material, cocoa nibs, bits of fruit, etc.

I’ve had success wrapping a small piece of paint strainer bag around the tip of the auto siphon, held in place with a twist tie or rubber band wrapped around it (all sanitized first). Also put in a few glass beads to weight down the end of the piece of strainer bag. Works great to keep out hop material, cocoa nibs, bits of fruit, etc.
Thanks! I literally just bought my first brew in a bag so I tried using that in a pinch but it was spraying everywhere and I worry about oxidizing (ruined two of my four total batches from oxidation) so I called it quits and will just pour slowly. Also got 5 pints instead of my normal 6 for a 1 gal brew

Back