Bottling Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txflmike

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to this and on my third beer. My first two I bottled per the instructions at two weeks. I will not be able to bottle this batch at two weeks and wondered if there would be a problem with going out another 4 days in the fermenter before I bottle. Any risk ?

No issues with an extra 4 weeks, let alone 4 days. You may have bottled too early in the past. Timelines are not good for brewing. It's tough to force yeast to follow your schedule. The do what they want.

But again, to answer your question - no issue whatsoever.

No,as long as it stays sealed it'll be fine. Are you using a hydrometer to make sure the beer's were done fermenting? The airlock bubbles usually slow down or stop only when initial fermentation is done. It then slowly,uneventfully ferments down to FG. Then allow another 3-7 days for it to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. There are many times in my brews when 3 weeks are needed to finish fermenting & settle out.

Im not using a hydrometer yet and it is still sealed up tight. Thanks for the quick response. I will lert it ride and see how it turns out.

If there is one thing I've been taught here it is to read kit instructions and then ignore them. :) Basically most kits tend to rush the process. There is big money in selling a kit that says you can have beer in as little as 3 weeks. My kits actually said to wait 2 weeks in primary then take a reading and after bottling, wait at least 2 more weeks. That is the best direction I've seen in a kit and even that is lacking.

I've kept my beers in primary for a minimal of 2 weeks. I did take a reading of one after 7 days because someone told me to rack over fruit to a secondary after only 7 days. I've since ignored that completely.

Get a hydrometer. It is incredibly necessary and worth your while. I would also get a thermometer. Something cheap works but you want to know the temp of your liquid in case you need to convert the hydrometer reading.

Back