Bottling sugar addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
Hello,

Want to add corn sugar to bottling bucket after wort has been sitting for a few days to let sediment settle and wort clear up a little. Is there a good way to do this so that the corn sugar is evenly distributed in the wort that does not introduce any oxygen ? Don't want to stir or agitate too much. Thanks !!

Well, there is no way to prime in a bottling bucket without introducing O2. The best you can do is minimize it. e.g....

- avoid splashing during transfer to the bottling bucket
- stir the sugar solution and beer together gently, stirring under the surface with minimal disturbance of the surface.
- bottle as quickly as possible, but without splashing

Some people rely on the swirling action at the bottom of the bucket during transfer to mix the sugar solution and beer, and don't stir manually at all. While that can work, it can also lead to uneven distribution, under/over-carbonated bottles, and even gushers or bottle bombs.

Thanks, I usually add the bottling sugar while transferring the wort from the fermenter to the bottling bucket, but I want to let it sit for a few days first. Can I add the sugar when I transfer to the bottling bucket and let it all sit a few days before bottling ? I am guessing I shouldn't. Thanks

Sounds right, Guess I will just pour the corn sugar mix into the wort and stir it very gently. Thanks for your time.

Like the others have said, thats not ideal. If your wanting to limit sediment in the bottles try leaving your beer in the fv for 3 - 4 weeks before you bottle. It will aid in that.

You could also try floating a sanitized pie plate inside your bottling bucket to act as a barrier. If your beer is colder than room temperature some of the CO2 will come out of solution with the agitation, and migrate to the area around the plate - providing some additional protection.
One other trick is when bottling, put the caps on loose and then when putting the bottles down “tap” them on the ground to release some of the co2 in the beer. loosely cap all your beers before capping them down.

Back