Bottling Stuck Cider with film yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swmbcider

Reaction score
I am a newbie to cider making. I started a batch of cider this past fall, a mix of 82% Norland apples and 18% Rescue crabs. OG was 1.050 and I pitched S04 yeast, 2 weeks later I racked it into secondary carboy with SG of 1.011. Now 5 months later it is still at 1.010. Should I bottle it like this? Is there any risk for fermentation to start again? Has anyone tried adding a little nutrients to bottle carb? Seems risky. Also it has film yeast on top, O2 got in before I topped up airlock. I removed what I could, Is it okay to bottle it like this or should I spray it with a low sulphite solution to get rid of it first?

Thanks

I would NOT bottle a cider/wine with excessive residual sugar without stabilizing it somehow. There is definitely risk that fermentation could resume or spoilage could occur.

The S-04 probably flocculated too early. Check here to make sure there's not some other problem too:
https://***************.com/wiki/Stuck_fermentation

It may or may not be nutrient-depleted, so I wouldn't assume that adding nutrients to carbonate would be needed.

I would suggest one of the following two options:
  1. Stabilize and bottle it sweet and still.
  2. Pitch more yeast to finish the fermentation and then proceed as normal.

The wild microbe(s) don't really affect the plan, so don't worry about them until you figure out what you want to happen with this cider.

Welcome to HBT! Cheers

Thanks RPH_Guy, I didn't know about early flocculation. I think I will try and get the yeast going again first and if it doesn't work then stabilize and bottle.

Back