Bottling still Apfelwien

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayviewBob

Reaction score
I have a 3 gallon batch of a apfelwein clone.

I also have some whiskey bottles ( I don't know where they came from ) that have the cork stoppers on them.

Can I put, fermented out, still cider in them to age?

Would I be wrong to assume the cork is sanitized with whiskey?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Bob

First of all, you should use new corks.

Secondly, so long as the cider is finished fermenting, and there is no carbonation, you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure that the bottles are washed and sanitized, and you use new corks.

Thanks you for the information.

So the whiskey soaked corks are not usable?

I mean, they are not old dried out corks, they are wet with good whiskey!

I would think they would be more sanitized than new cork.

Am I wrong?

Bob

You didn't mention when you made your batch, but personally, I would bulk-age it in the 3 gallon container it is currently in, and bottle after at least one year has passed. As far as corks go, I'm sure a whiskey soaked cork is sanitized, but if it has been used (as these obviously have been), the sealing qualities will be compromised. Use new corks.

- GL63

BigKahuna said:
Ed Wort says that this stuff should be ready to drink in 8 weeks, Why do you recommend a full year?

It is ready in 8 weeks .... it's just that it is much better after at least one year. :rockin:

Back