Bottling sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobsers

Reaction score
I'm about to bottle my first 12 gallon batch and came to realize the enormous task of preparing 120 bottles for filling. I'm a plumber by trade and have been doing some water conditioning for residential using ozone injection for sanitizing potable water. Some internet research on ozone sanitation in food and beverage packaging leads me to believe this may be the holy grail for bottling. Has anyone used ozone for sanitation?

Ozone injection will not free you from the task of properly cleaning the bottles from any sediment/crud left over from the previous batch, so there will really be no time saving compared to using the usual chemical sanitizers. If you want to save time you can combine cleaning and sanitation by using a caustic cleaner at a minimum temperature of 80°C which will both make the cleaner extremely effective as well as pasteurizing the bottles. Since you're a plumber I don't need to tell you that you have to be extra careful when dealing with water at such high temperatures.

Back