Bottling...priming sugar...oh NO!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapes

Reaction score
Not that dramatic but I did have an oh no moment. Bottled today, first batch, all went well, then I tasted the remaining beer left in the bucket, way sweet. I did the priming sugar boil and poured all the syrup into the empty bottling bucket. Will the filling of the bucket with the wort dilute the syrup evenly? Or at least enough?

It should, but it depends on your practices. Generally, people recommend putting the boiled sugar solution in the bottling bucket and using the racking cane to create a swirl to mix the beer with the sugar.

Personally, I stir every time to ensure good mixing (without stirring so much as to oxidize), but lots of people don't like to stir beer for fear of oxidation.

It is likely fine. I used to just dump the sugar solution in the bucket and then rack on top and let it naturally swirl around for about 10 minutes with the lid on after racking and all my beers were fine. Since then I've found it's better to get the siphon started and pour your sugar solution in after there is about 2-3 inches of beer in the bucket and be sure to position the racking hose so it creates a whirlpool effect as it fills.

Back