Bottling-One Mistake After Another

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam_d_j

Reaction score
So, I'm bottling my second brew. A wheat ale. My first mistake was not ensuring that my spigot was closed before putting my priming sugar in the bottling bucket. I could not tell exactly how much I lost since my kitchen mat absorbed most of it. I could tell most of it was still in the bucket so I just added about 3 table spoons of honey and moved on. I guess my REAL first mistake was not having extra supplies handy. My second mistake was not having my caps ready to go before racking into the bottling bucket. I thought I was being clever and was quite proud of myself when bottling my first batch and came up with the idea of putting all of my caps in a cullender, dipping them in sani-water, and letting them dry. It worked great at the time. What I just found out though, is that the rest of the caps I didn't end up using then are now rusted. I didn't start really panicking until I realized I could not find my second, unopened bag of caps. The kicker is that I have to be at work in the morning before any stores open and I won't be able to get home with new caps until about 24 hours from now. So I'm sitting here with a dishwasher full of sanitized bottles, a bottling bucket full of beer, plastic bag full of rusted bottle caps, and my last cold homebrew from my first batch.
My questions... How much of my priming sugar/honey mixture will already have been consumed in this 24 hours that my ready-to-bottle beer is sitting in my kitchen? Would I need to add any more sugar before I bottle tomorrow(assuming I used the right amount of honey to make up for the lost sugar)? This night really sucked. Give me some good news.:(

So, I'm bottling my second brew. A wheat ale. My first mistake was not ensuring that my spigot was closed before putting my priming sugar in the bottling bucket. I could not tell exactly how much I lost since my kitchen mat absorbed most of it. I could tell most of it was still in the bucket so I just added about 3 table spoons of honey and moved on. I guess my REAL first mistake was not having extra supplies handy. My second mistake was not having my caps ready to go before racking into the bottling bucket. I thought I was being clever and was quite proud of myself when bottling my first batch and came up with the idea of putting all of my caps in a cullender, dipping them in sani-water, and letting them dry. It worked great at the time. What I just found out though, is that the rest of the caps I didn't end up using then are now rusted. I didn't start really panicking until I realized I could not find my second, unopened bag of caps. The kicker is that I have to be at work in the morning before any stores open and I won't be able to get home with new caps until about 24 hours from now. So I'm sitting here with a dishwasher full of sanitized bottles, a bottling bucket full of beer, plastic bag full of rusted bottle caps, and my last cold homebrew from my first batch.
My questions... How much of my priming sugar/honey mixture will already have been consumed in this 24 hours that my ready-to-bottle beer is sitting in my kitchen? Would I need to add any more sugar before I bottle tomorrow(assuming I used the right amount of honey to make up for the lost sugar)? This night really sucked. Give me some good news.:(

Sorry about your run of bad luck. I had a bad bottling day once when my capper broke. I had to rack the beer back into my better bottle and let the priming sugar ferment back out while I waited for a new capper to arrive. You might want to just leave yours in the bottling bucket and put a lid on it. If you don't have a lid then rack it back to your FV. You also might want to let the priming sugar ferment out until your FG stays stable again and start over. That's just my own opinion. Someone else might have better experience on the matter...

I always count out the number of caps that equals the maximum number of bottles I can get out of a batch. Then I only dip them in starsan as I go. Since I use o2 barrier caps,I don't want that function activated too long before it gets crimped onto the bottle. This way,I don't have to worry about bad caps.
And don't let the sanitizer dry on anything. Starsan,for one,is a wet contact sanitizer. In only 24 hours,I wouldn't think it'd all ferment out. Just add a little more priming sugar in a small amount of water. Maybe a couple tsp's in .5C of water.

I'm a total noob and did the same thing with caps. I boiled them all for my first go round, but then firgot to dry off the remaining caps, rustola. I also used bottles, or tried to use bottles, that didn't work with my capper. I tried red stripe stubbies and stella bottles but my capper would not work with them. I also got a little over zealous with the capper and broke one bottle in the neck. hopefully next go is better for both of us. Someone suggested PET soda bottles, if you are in a pinch. Good luck!

Been there done that. I ran 5 caps short one. I also had the spigot open once. I had a friend dump all 5 gallons on the kitchen floor as he was taking a dump! People forget the priming sugar. I once started bottling and was short 10 bombers. WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!

It's all a learning process. MY mistakes happen when I have a friend helping.

Yeah, my 6 daughter now reminds me every time I bottle to "make sure the bucket doesn't leak like it did that one time."

As for the priming sugar/honey, I think I'd wait for the yeast to ferment it all out, then prime and bottle. You don't want to underestimate the amount of sugar lost and end up with bottle bombs, nor do you want to overestimate the amount left and end up with flat beer.

I've never primed with honey, but The Beer Recipator has an "Edit Report" button that will give you amounts of different priming sugars. Seems like with honey, you would add about 1/2 ounce more than priming sugar. If you have left over malt extract, I'd use that.

I agree with most of the posters above. The yeast will be consuming those sugars. Therefore, let it ferment out for a couple days then start over.

Back