Bottling lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting my first lager soon and I'm wondering about the bottling process. I usually use Coopers carbonation drops (1 per bottle) and this effectively carbonates my pale ales over 2 or more weeks. Will this process still work after cold conditioning my lager in a secondary fermenter for 6 weeks? I'm happy to leave the bottled lager to age for a couple of months.

Yeah, six weeks isnt that long and they should carb up nicely without additional yeast. It may take a month or so to fully carb them. I've never used the drops so I don't know about the carb level. I feel like I've read people being unhappy with just one carb drop but having over carb'd with 2, but I could be wrong...

Yeah, six weeks isnt that long and they should carb up nicely without additional yeast. It may take a month or so to fully carb them. I've never used the drops so I don't know about the carb level. I feel like I've read people being unhappy with just one carb drop but having over carb'd with 2, but I could be wrong...
Thanks. I'll try it without adding yeast and see how it goes.

The older the yeast and the colder it is will effect the time it takes but I don't see any problems.

I lagered my last cerveza in my shed for about 3 months during winter(-5 to 1C temps) right before bottling and it still carbonated. Just took a month instead of a week.

Back