Bottling in this crazy heat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinfur1

Reaction score
So I bottled my latest 5 gallon homebrew today (Honey Hef. tasted great from the fermenter). But with this heat we are having in Massachussetts the next few days, I'm concerned that it won't carb. By Saturday it should get back down to the 70's. Should I put my bottles in the fridge til the temps cool down then put them back in the closet to carb then, or just leave them in there and they will be fine?

While I wouldn't recommend leaving them outside or anything ridiculous.... I live in Memphis and it's routinely in the mid 90s for weeks here in the summer and I have never had a problem with bottles carbing. I assume you keep your house air conditioned or at least have some fans going to keep the temp in the house reasonable. If so I don't see any reason why the bottles would have any problems carbing.

As long as the inside of your house doesn't get like an oven you should be fine. If its too hot for your beer it'll be way to uncomfortable for you. Bottle away and keep em in the closet and you'll be fine

It shouldn't be a problem. I know at high temps you can risk killing the yeast, 90 isn't going to do that, and it's likely not going to get 90 in your house, I'd hope. Just leave the bottles in your basement if you can. A fan probably won't help, because at that point you're just pushing hot air around (which helps us feel cooler, but won't have any impact on the temp of your beer).

I was in Massachusetts for the last 6 days, actually, and the weather was awesome. Back at home (Ohio), it was in the 90's, meanwhile in Mass and NH, it was low 80's at the most, in the 70's most days. I got back to Ohio yesterday - I frigging hate heat, sounds like I left just in time.

It's 100F-105F where I live. My house gets up to about 80F while I'm at work. Not only do my bottles carb up fine, but they also do it quicker! ;)

A fan probably won't help, because at that point you're just pushing hot air around (which helps us feel cooler, but won't have any impact on the temp of your beer).

I'm so glad people still get physics. :)

I'm so glad people still get physics. :)

In my experience, people don't get physics. A person may understand that a fan blowing on a bottle of beer won't cool it, but no- they don't get physics. The human brain only works in that mode (the logical, "scientific" mode) temporarily and with considerable effort. Relax a minute, and we've all got the rational capacity of an artichoke. :D

As a Marine Biologist I think I have no problem with logistical (physics). I'm just not up on the effects of heat of carbing beer. I do appreciate the help of everyone.

Back