Bottling in clear glass bottles, why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that it is only UV light that causes a problem. So direct sunlight is to be avoided. Even indirect sunlight for a long period of time is not a good idea. Florescent lights emit a small amount of UV, but LED lights do not.

Some people keep their fermenters in a closet, or cover them with something to block the light. Indirect sunlight for a few hours / while you are working on it shouldn't be a problem. For wines that I bulk age for 6 months in the carboy, I try to keep them out of the indirect sunlight.

The spectrum that causes hop compounds to skunk is from visible Blue (450-500 nm) through UV...

1684282552259.png

Cheers!

I've found it's UV light that does it. Not sure about ambient light in a house. Interesting question to find out. Bottle with a bunch of clear glass and then leave various bottles in different locations for different amounts of time, then try them out. Then tell us!

I do know it's a thing, friend and I long ago set a clear bottle in the sun for a while, stuck it in the frig, then drank some and it was positively awful.

UV light generally is under 400nm so it's not UV specificially.

I will tell you that it doesn't take long. Several weeks ago, I was brewing in the garage and was drinking a HB IPA that sat on a table in the sun. I doubt it was more than ten or fifteen minutes and I took a sip to find it was already getting skunky.

I was amazed how fast it happened. Next time, I guess I'll keep it in the shade or substitute a stein for my normal pint glass.

The 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol compound produced has some insanely low detection threshold, and there are articles on the 'net that say the damage can be noticeable with as little as a minute of exposure to daylight or equivalent energy in the blue + UV spectrum...

Cheers!

The 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol compound produced has some insanely low detection threshold, and there are articles on the 'net that say the damage can be noticeable with as little as a minute of exposure to daylight or equivalent energy in the blue + UV spectrum...

Cheers!
Wow, that is amazing. Does that only affect hops? Because it seems that the wine and hard cider that I make isn't that sensitive to light.

Wow, that is amazing. Does that only affect hops? Because it seems that the wine and hard cider that I make isn't that sensitive to light.
I believe it only affects isomerized hops. If accurate, WCIPA would be affected more than NEIPA, even though the latter may have significantly more hops in it.

Back