bottling graff..help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camatt2989

Reaction score
Just finished brewing brandon o's graff. This will be my first batch of cider ill be bottling and i hear cider is very touchy... can anyone give any specific advice for priming before bottling I am planing on using lactose and its a six gallon batch in about two weeks ill be bottling and if it matters i started with an og of 1.060.

(sorry for lack of punctuation... im posting from my android)

Just finished brewing brandon o's graff. This will be my first batch of cider ill be bottling and i hear cider is very touchy... can anyone give any specific advice for priming before bottling I am planing on using lactose and its a six gallon batch in about two weeks ill be bottling and if it matters i started with an og of 1.060.

(sorry for lack of punctuation... im posting from my android)

You'll use about 1 ounce of dextrose per gallon to carb up the graff. It's not "touchy"- it's easy to do. Just like beer. Rack it the same way, bottle it the same way, cap the same way. You shouldn't have any issues at all.

lactose is a non-fermentable sugar. Therefore your cider will not carbonate if you use it as a priming sugar. You'll just end up sweeting your cider.

yea sorry i was just posting everything that would be in the recipe in case it made any difference im back sweetening with lactose... thanks for the help i feel silly for being so worried.

Don't feel silly, I had questions too regarding that cider. Just make sure that it is done fermenting (stable hydrometer readings, mine was 1.006) before you add the priming sugar. Mine attenuated more than my standard beers so you want to make sure the yeast is done before you add more sugar and overcarbonate or worse, get bottle bombs.

Back