Bottling from Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzz

Reaction score
Hi

I've just started brewing. At the moment I've just got a King Keg, but I'd like to put some of the beer into bottles when I get some so that I can see how it improves over time. Am I able to bottle some of the beer from the Keg tap once the beer is conditioned, or do I have to do it directly into the bottles?

Thanks

I have been wondering about this as well. The problem I am having is that my keg has been cooled and carbonated. Since it has been cooled, most if not all the yeast are not in suspension and are now at the bottom of the keg. I was just thinking of overcarbing slightly, bottling a few from the tap, then adjusting the pressure back down in the keg and bleed off the extra pressure. Any thoughts?

I may need to do that shortly, got too much brew on my hands for two kegs. So, beer that's in the keg, already conditioned....your saying that I would have to add a 1/2 teaspoon of corn sugar to the bottles? Even though it's already conditoned? As ant pointed out, wouldn't you at least shake it to get the yeast back in suspension???

Well, you could buy or build yourself a counterpressure bottle filler.

Or, you could do a search for the various methods folks around here have done this. One method describes upping the CO2 and then bottling from a picnic tap to which a short length of tubing as been added. I have tried this once, and it was a disaster. My beer foamed profusely and then there was no carbonation when I opened the bottle later.

I think that I will build a counterpressure bottle filler for this task.

Currently, however, I am using growlers to take my beer places with me.

If your purpose is aging, I would think that you should bottle a six pack or two of each of your beers at kegging time. Store these as bottle conditioned brews for long-term aging.

Back