Bottling From Conical--How Do You Keep It Clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenSpyder

Reaction score
What tricks are there to getting a clearer brew after stirring priming sugar into a conical?

I've tried to remove the trub from the bottom valve, but I just can't get it all out, even after wasting some beer. My beer was amazingly clear, until I stirred in the primer, then a noticeable haze took over. I'm pretty sure it will settle out in the bottle over time, but darn! After bottling, when cleaning the conical, I noticed about 30ml of trub, yeast and schmutz still there.

I'm fairly new with these 6.5 gallon Mini-Brew Fermenters, and I love them. Great for harvesting yeast, removing trub after the primary ferment (?), and slick as heck when bottling. I suppose I could rack into my old bottling pail from the racking valve, then stir in the primer, but I'm wondering how forum members do this. Seems someone always has a nifty trick for every circumstance.

Thanks!

A few things. You might bottle prime. I use Domino Dots, easy to do. There are other carb drops too.
Also, if you can support your fermenter on an angle so that the trub settles deeper on the far side from the spigot. Or put a short tube in the spigot, bent to reach above the trub.

Latest posts

Back