Bottling from Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJB25

Reaction score
Just wondering how I add slightly more dextrose will it increase the carbonation?

If the dextrose is being added after fermentation is done (i.e., on bottling day), then yes.

If earlier, then no. Well, actually, you will get more, but it won't stay in the beer.

Yeah I'm talking about adding an extra amount to what the recipe calls for when I'm priming on bottling day. Would this result in a more carbonated finished product ?

Yes it would, I would recommend using a carbonation calculator to achieve the desired carbonation level though. Too much and you could have some bottle bombs

I would suggest using a bottling bucket and mixing in the priming solution there. Putting the solution in the bottom and siphoning in a swirl is enough to mix it.

You DO need to add priming sugar. If you try to add the sugar to a carboy you will either, 1) not get it mixed well or 2) stir up the trub and get a lot of sediment into your bottles.

I also, recommend using a priming calculator.

Back