Bottling from a primed Corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I'm still not happy with forced carbonation and counter pressure bottle filling although it works and I have the equipment.

So what would happen if :-

• I transferred a batch to a Corny and lager at 0 to -1°C for a few weeks
    Carefully open the keg add the appropriate amount of dilute sugar solution and a little bottling yeast.
    Leave it in the keg for a day or two so it can resettle.
    Bottle directly from the keg via the beer out post

That should leave the precipitate in the keg and if the sugar is fully dissolved Brownian motion should disperse it through the liquid.

My concerns are that even at very low temperature the fermentation may restart and that the bottling yeast will not be distributed through the liquid.

Does this seem like a workable procedure?

Thanks. Aamcle

Pressurised conical Mmmm!m....... Dream on :)

Hm. The sediment from a few weeks will be on the bottom of the keg. You don't say whether you're pressurizing with CO2 during this few weeks. Then you're adding sugar and yeast, which will propagate, multiply, eat the sugar you've secondarily added, and create more sediment.

I see adding sediment to a process that usually eschews that by carbonating with a CO2 tank. Why do you dislike carbonating in a keg? Frankly, if you're transferring to corny and hook up to appropriate pressure for the temp at which that corny sits, then you're finished.

I want the final product in bottles, I would expect to ferment and cold crash in primary only then transferring to the keg.
Lager it for some time, add the sugar solution whilst still cold bottle immediately and let it condition (carbonate) in the bottles. If it works there should be very little yeast sediment in the bottle.

I think I need to change the overflow valve on my counter pressure bottle filler to get it to work properly and it will be difficult to find a suitable replacement.

ATb.. Aamcle

Why are you bottling from an uncarbonated keg? If you don't like forced carbonation then just spund in keg and serve. Is this for a comp or something?

No I just prefer bottles to serving from a keg.

I am looking for ways to lager, add sugar/yeast then bottle and store warm for a couple of weeks to carbonate.

But I think I'll have to concentrate on making my counter pressure filler work properly and stick to force carbonation in a keg.

At b. Aamcle . :)

It is such an unusual way of doing it. How about lagering in the bottle instead of the keg?

Latest posts

Back