Bottling from a keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbieSkull

Reaction score
I wanted to make sure that when I bottle a beer from a keg, it has appropriate CO2. I turned in a beer for a competition and they had remarked that it could have used a bit more. I was wondering if anyone has some advice about if I should try adding more pressure to the keg. I was thinking of going from 10 psi to 12 for the style of beer. My thinking is that as the CO2 comes out of solution it may settle at the same as what was served from the keg.

I realize that I should probably refer to the CO2 levels as Volumes of CO2, but I am trying to take a simplistic approach to my quandary so that the average person can understand, including me. Any advice is appreciated. I known there are a lot of people here that have a lot of experience with this. Thank you in advance.

I find I don't lose much carbonation bottling from keg (using a beer gun). If you do, then increasing by about 2PSI would seem reasonable. Make sure you cap straight away - if you fill several bottles before you cap them, you might lose more carbonation.

I know you are looking to take a simplistic approach, but the co2 volumes chart is a good resource, and you really only need to do it once for each type of brew. I also bottle from a keg with the beer gun. I go about 3+ over the pressure I would normally have. I use the volumes chart mainly to check the pressures with the temp. I also leave the co2 on for a month or so to make sure there is enough time to get the gas absorbed. One last thing I do is the lower the temp a day or so before I bottle so the brew is the coldest it can be when I bottle.

I have a beer gun that I had used just once and was having foaming issues as I filled. I read somewhere on HBT that chilling the beer bottles before waiting and filling might help with that. I will release some pressure off the keg and set the serving pressure down to 2 to 3 psi to get a reason!nmaablyy slow fill rate

I bumped up my overall pressure a few pounds last night so I will give it a shot this morning

Back