Bottling from a keg idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjinsa

Reaction score
I have seen a technique which involves bottling beer from kegs using a picnic Tap and a racking cane and a drilled stopper. It doesn't use any co2 however. Could you my make the same setup as this but with co2 as well. So what I mean is:

Connect beer line to picnic tap, connect picnic tap to racking cane, put a stopper on the cane.

Do the same but instead of beer connect co2...

Then fill the bottle with co2, and then with beer (just to be sure there is no oxygen in bottle).

So you will have 2 identical setups, one with beer connected to it and one with co2?

This is the thread I am talking about

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24678

I don't see why you couldn't make a second wand to purge the bottles with co2. My question is why you would need to? In most cases you are bottling to take is somewhere that you cannot take the keg. It will not suffer from oxidation in that short time.

On the other hand a setup for purging would be good for bottle conditioning with priming sugar. Purge then fill. Maybe a thin tube to slowly add co2 while adding the primed beer with a bottling wand at the same time.

I don't see why you couldn't make a second wand to purge the bottles with co2. My question is why you would need to? In most cases you are bottling to take is somewhere that you cannot take the keg. It will not suffer from oxidation in that short time.

On the other hand a setup for purging would be good for bottle conditioning with priming sugar. Purge then fill. Maybe a thin tube to slowly add co2 while adding the primed beer with a bottling wand at the same time.

I suppose it's true. If it's to drink on the evening then why bother. I'm just thinking if I don't drink all the bottles I filled, then I can keep them for next time I go somewhere I need bottles for. Also for entering them into competitions when they need more time.

I suppose it's true.
If it's to drink on the evening then why bother. I'm just thinking if I don't drink all the bottles I filled, then I can keep them for next time I go somewhere I need bottles for. Also for entering them into competitions when they need more time.

Back