Bottling directly from spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BesteBrew

Reaction score
My bottling wand thing broke so i bottled last night directly from the spigot on my bottling bucket. Are there any disadvantages to doing this?

more splashing areates the beer and reduces the longevity of the beer. once exposed to oxygen many of the compounds in the beer begin to oxidize.

long to short, the beer will skunk out much faster. shelf life is going to be very short.

Aerating and possibly oxidyzing the beer by letting it fall through the oxygen in the bottle. Wands fill from the bottom of the bottle to the top, pushing out the o2 as it fills. That doesn't happen from the spigot directly, it's falling INTO the air in the bottle.

What you want to do is affix a hose to it, and use it sort of like the bottling wand to fill slowly from the bottom upward.

yep, the flavor will likely end up with distinct paper notes... learned that one the hard way.

Back