Bottling directly from a conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
I have a conical with 15.5 gallons of beer. It has a racking arm that I can attach a bottling wand.

I usually use two carb tabs to a 12oz bottle to carb a few bottles for gifts, parties etc.

Must transfer beer to some kegs but would like to bottle a couple of cases or, 24 bottles and change.

I live in a rural area and my local shop is out of carb tabs. Therefore, I need to use the corn sugar I have on hand. What kind of mixture can I boil up and then amount to dispense to each bottle?

BTW - I did do a search and found threads back to 06. Thought maybe I would modernize a bit.

If you dissolve the primer, how are you going to dose the bottles?
Seems trickier than just dropping 3/4 teaspoon of CS in each bottle, then fill and cap...

Cheers!

If you dissolve the primer, how are you going to dose the bottles?
Seems trickier than just dropping 3/4 teaspoon of CS in each bottle, then fill and cap...

Cheers!

I would like to know how much Cane Sugar in how much water to provide the correct medium to carbonate a 12 oz bottle. I want to carbonate 24 bottles of an ale.

Why not prime the whole batch, bottle what you want, then keg the rest and let it carbonate in the keg?

I would like to know how much Cane Sugar in how much water to provide the correct medium to carbonate a 12 oz bottle. I want to carbonate 24 bottles of an ale.

You can use this calculator for the amount of sugar to dissolve in hot water for the volume in 24 bottles. I use 4.2 to 5.2 ounces of corn sugar for 48 to 50 bottles. Amount depends on how much carbonation for the style I'm bottling. You will most likely need a small syringe marked in tenths of a milliliter to add to each bottle before filling.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Back