bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjphillybrew

Reaction score
Can my bottling bucket also serve as a primary fermentation vessel? I'll probably buy another bucket or carboy in a few weeks, so would only use it for one batch in the meanwhile.

Thanx

I've used a bottling bucket for primary before without an issue. The most I had to do was rotate the spout so it wasn't pushed into the ground.

Just be sure to completely remove the spigot once the batch is out of it and clean it fully.

Are you kegging batches, so you don't need to use the bucket to bottle? If so, then go for it. If not, you'll need to get another bottling bucket once the batch is ready (either one)...

IMO, you're better off going out to get another primary now. I have four dedicated primaries, with another five that can be used in a pinch. I'd rather have more than I'll use than need to figure out what I'll be putting a batch into. :D

I agree with Golddiggie. Make sure that if you do decide to use it, remove the spigot before and clean it thoroughly and sanitize accordingly. Once you are finished with the batch do the same. The spigot is a great place for bacteria to hide, so be thorough.

I'm just going to throw this out there for future reference. You don't really need to buy more than one bucket with a spigot. All my buckets have them and it's a pain in the ass to clean/sanitize them

I'm just going to throw this out there for future reference. You don't really need to buy more than one bucket with a spigot. All my buckets have them and it's a pain in the ass to clean/sanitize them

Good point... I only have one bottling bucket... It's about to feel rather neglected since I'm ready to transition over to kegging all of what I brew. IF I want to bottle any of a batch, I'll probably do it once it's carbonated on gas. Or, people will just need to come over to my place if they want some. :D

I use a Coopers Fermenting Vessel for my extract hefeweizens and it works well for an all in one. Its set up similar to a bottling bucket. I do primary fermentation and bottle (batch priming) all in one vessel. I would agree with the above posters that it is essential to clean and sanitize the spigot thoroughly. I soak the spigot in Oxyclean Free, then rinse in hot water, then on brew day soak in Star San.

I use the method of priming described by John Palmer in section 2b here:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

Latest posts

Back