Bottling bucket or siphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoshinJoshN

Reaction score
I'm close to bottling my first beer but when sanitizing my bottling bucket I noticed a slow leak at the spout. Should I bottle by racking straight from the Carboy or still transfer? I'm using priming sugar so I figured using the bucket would be best so I wouldn't have to stir and mix all the yeast cake at the bottom of the Carboy back up into the beer

tell us more about the leak. is it leaking THROUGH the spigot (like, it won't shut off all the way) or is it leaking AROUND the spigot (like it's not installed properly)?

It's leaking around the spigot. It's small but noticeable. I've tried new fittings and tightening it but it still has a drip

If the drip isn't too bad, I would just put a towel down below the bucket and not worry about it.

Unless it is really leaking badly I honestly would not worry about it. You definitely want to use the bucket. Don't stir up the trub inside that fermenter.

Put a paper towel down to catch the drips and bottle the beer up.

First off its good that you noticed the leak prior to transferring your beer to the bottling bucket. But you definitely don't want to bottle directly from the carboy for two reasons: 1.) you want to leave as much trub behind as possible 2.) If you add the priming sugar, you will disturb the trub at the bottom and it will end up in your bottles.

Just as Walker posted, I'm still a bit confused on the leak.

Use the bottling bucket. Screwing around with the trub in the carboy is not worth the hassle over a few ounces of beer lost from the bottling bucket.

Back