Bottling before fermentation is complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackinskor

Reaction score
My FG is under 1.015 and still has krauzen on top. Is this ok? Will something go wrong if it isn't fully fermented? (Is there such a thing?)

how long has your gravity been at 1.015? Three consecutive days at this reading will indicate fermentation is complete then bottle. If fermentation isn't complete bottles could burst.

Just rechecked the gravity after 3 days under 1.015 -- It's over 1.050 and this makes zero sense. Confused.

Your gravity reading can't go up. It's just not possible unless you added more sugar to the beer.

You say it's been under 1.015 for three days. How long has it been since you pitched the yeast. There is no reason to get in a big hurry. Most people on this forum will recommend you wait at least 3 weeks after pitching to even think about bottling.

How can I recalibrate? I've just never experienced this before. The yeast was pitched exactly 3 weeks ago (it usually takes 10-12 days and I'm bottling).

How can I recalibrate? I've just never experienced this before. The yeast was pitched exactly 3 weeks ago (it usually takes 10-12 days and I'm bottling).

If you are using a hydrometerjust use water anit SHOULD be at 0.

If you bottle beforeits done fermenting you will end up with exploding bottles.

The water reads 1.000 - Going to take another reading, just confused is all.

Make sure the hydrometer isn't touching the wall of the testing tube, or anything else for that matter. Also, make sure there aren't any bubbles beneath the hydrometer. I usually give my a good twirl (be careful :D) and take it in and out of the sample a few times, getting a couple of readings. If three readings all read the same, I know I tested correctly.

Are you sure it isn't reading 1.005? I would also let the sample sit a few minutes to get air bubbles out and read the hydrometer.

Also, what temp are you checking your reading at, although, I have never seen temp vary from 1.015 to 1.050

Back