Bottling Apfelwein Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to do my first batch of Apfelwein but have one question about bottling. Do most people carbonate their Apfelwein or not? I have never had it but have herd good things so i dont know if i should carbonate.

Thanks

Most do both, I do. Maybe carb 4 gallons, and siphon 1 gallon still in wine bottles to have still. Do both, experiment around. I prefer carbed which is why I do most of them that way, but both are great.

I also do both. My still apfelwein seems to maintain more apple flavor and sweetness, whereas the carbonated stuff seems more crisp and dry. Try it both ways and see which you like more.

I bottled my first batch of Apfelwien two weeks ago. All 5g were bottled still. But the good thing is that I started my next batch the same day :drunk:. I woul like to try to carbonate some of this batch.

When doing a cabonated version how do most carbonate?

Sugar (dextrose)?
Carb Tablets (is this, how many tabs per bottle)?
Any other fermentalbes?

Thanks for the help inadvance.

i think i will keep my first batch still cuz i like sweeter things with more flavor. dont really like the dry taste...but i will try both. thanks guys

i think i will keep my first batch still cuz i like sweeter things with more flavor. dont really like the dry taste...but i will try both. thanks guys
It's very easy to do it both ways, just rack the whole thing to your bottling bucket, bottle a few bottles without adding any priming sugar, then add priming sugar to the rest and gently mix it in with a sanitized stirrer. I'd want to do at least one or two bottles still, just to see if I like it.

I was going to split up my first batch, but have like 90% carbed and the rest still. Should be done fermenting by now, and I've got another 2 weeks and 6 days before bottling. I'm letting it sit for 8 weeks. (Although I might get impatient and bottle it sooner....who knows)

What can I use for bottles if I carb my cider? Obviously I know I could use 12 or 22 oz. beer bottles, but I'd like something a little more classy. Can wine bottles support the pressure? How about champagne bottles? Would I be able to cork either of those with a carbed cider?

What can I use for bottles if I carb my cider? Obviously I know I could use 12 or 22 oz. beer bottles, but I'd like something a little more classy. Can wine bottles support the pressure? How about champagne bottles? Would I be able to cork either of those with a carbed cider?

Wine bottled are a no-go. They aren't designed for pressure. Champagne bottles would work, but corking them is a different thing altogether.

I just use beer bottles, and pour it into a nice glass for drinking.

Ok This is my first post, and I am a complete Noob, but would it work to use saved bottles that sparking cider (Martinelli's, etc.) come in? They come capped and are carbed. Any thoughts.

-Josh Swinehart

Hi all,
I am just on my way to make my first batch of apple cider (following this recipe).
However I have no idea how I am going to do the bottling phase,
is there no way to use wine bottles at all? I am scared they might explode from the pressure. Maybe I can modify the cork in the way it will hold the pressure better?

I am more in the direction of improvising since getting the equipment where I am is hard (it was hard enough finding the fermentation container and airlock).

Is there some common kind of container I can use that might stand the pressure?

Thanks,
Guy

Champagne bottles will hold it, the kind with the cork and wire. Beer bottles will hold it all just fine.

The issue isn't so much the corking as the glass itself... the cork popping out is probably the best thing that can happen, if it didn't pop out the glass could explode.

This only matters if you're carbonating it, if you're going to bottle it still, wine bottles will be fine.

Do you guys just use a normal beer "bottler" to fill your wine bottles? How much gap do you leave?

For the people who bottle Apfelwein still, how do you stop spoilage? I know when you carbonate something it fills the headspace with CO2. How does this work still, in the fridge?

Normal bottling wand works great. The Punt (humpy thing in the bottom of the bottle) is a pain in the neck, but it still works. I fill to JUST above where the neck of the bottle starts to bell out. So maybe 1/8 Inch up the neck.

As far as still bottling, There will be an ever so thin layer of C02 that will protect your wine. I think that even the best de-gassed wine in the world will gas off a few little bubbles to give the oxygen barrier you need. This is where Campdon Tablets are often used (Not With Apfelwein) and is chemically protects your wine. This is also why stable storage conditions are so important. If you store your wine in the back seat of the pickup, they will get bounced about and will eventually oxidize. If you put them in the basement or closet, they will sit still and be fine.

Thanks BK, that clears it up. On a related note does anyone know how much CO2 pressure a typical long neck beer bottle can hold? I would like my Apfelwein a little extra carbonated, but not if a beer bottle can't handle it.

Normal bottling wand works great. The Punt (humpy thing in the bottom of the bottle) is a pain in the neck, but it still works. I fill to JUST above where the neck of the bottle starts to bell out. So maybe 1/8 Inch up the neck.

I am slightly worried about the cork. I have seen those and they are pretty long. If I use the bottling wand, will it leave enough space for the cork?

Note: "cork" not cock. :D

You can always remove the bottling wand before it's totally full to leave more head space than it would on its own.

Ahh..thanks. Yes, but I was wandering whether leaving too much of a space between the cork and the cider will cause too much oxidation?

Ahh..thanks. Yes, but I was wandering whether leaving too much of a space between the cork and the cider will cause too much oxidation?
If you store them in a stable environment (don't move them around much), they should be just fine. I doubt it'll make much difference either way unless you're planning to hold onto them for years and years.

Back