Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny27

Reaction score
Hey i am currently brewing my first batch. Since i never thought of making my own home brew before i never really thought about rinsing out my beer bottles after use. Now they have been sitting for a little while and mold has formed at the bottom.
I currently have them in a sink full of water with some pink sanitizer mixed in They have been sitting since last night and the mold has lifted from some bottles....

The question is are they still safe or good to use?

Thanks.

Ideally, you should soak the bottles in something like Oxyclean free first, rinse them off, then repeat with something acidic like a solution of water and vinegar. That should get rid of anything stuck on the glass. Rinse very thoroughly, let dry, and then sanitize with StarSan before use.

They'll be just fine. You may want to run up to your LHBS and get a bottle brush as well. This will help you get any gunk off of the bottom after you're done soaking. I'll use my brush every once in a while when I have some sediment stuck at the bottom as well. Like arcane said, first clean, then sanitize... Good luck and have fun with your first brew!

All that gunk probably looks bad but just Oxyclean it and maybe a bottle brush. It will eat away all the gunk. Then just sanitize as normal before you bottle. No worries.

Back